any horseshoers

Help Support CattleToday:

cleland

Reaction score
I am thinking about going to a horshoeing school this fall, and was wondering if there are any farriers on this board. If so please tell me how you feel about what you do and any other information that you think I may need, thanks
jeff

While I'm not a farrier, the local farrier works out of our barn 2 - 3 days a week and I have spent a lot of time watching him, talking to him, and asking questions. My first question to you would be what is your background? Have you been around horses? If so, how long? Do you have an understanding for them? Also, not that this has anything to do with becoming a farrier, but what is your location?

How young are you? and how good is your back? Because both will grow old fast.

Alan

Alan":3spku2to said:
How young are you? and how good is your back? Because both will grow old fast.

Alan

Mike (our local farrier) has a standing appointment about every other week with the chiropracter and massage therapist, and he is young and in pretty darned good shape!

I have been training horses for about 3 years now, and feel that I have a good understanding of them. I am 19 years old, and located in Kansas. Just have always liked to idea of being able to be around lots of different horse, and it seems to be a good self employed profession.

cleland":3ae7iruc said:
I have been training horses for about 3 years now, and feel that I have a good understanding of them. I am 19 years old, and located in Kansas. Just have always liked to idea of being able to be around lots of different horse, and it seems to be a good self employed profession.

Well your young enough it may be okay, but it is the type if profession that beats you up quick. My advice is, make good money at it and get out before your too beat up and too old to fall back on another profession. I see some late 30's guys that are in that boat.

JMO
Alan

I am a Farrier and 49yrs.old. shoeing horses is a young mans sport, I can still get it done, just a little slower.
I went to Oklahoma Farriers Collage in Sperry, OK. and it was a great adventure. :cboy: :cboy:

You need a good leather apron. Nails are sharp you must be quick to bend them over before the horse jerks his leg/foot. A gentle horse will lean on you if you let him get away with it. I was never very good at it but we got shoes on them.

Dont get kicked and watch out for those nails they seem to to be able to go right through your hand!!