Any guesses what could be in mixed the wood pile?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Had our third calf of the season yesterday. I used, what I was told was a black angus bull on my Hereford herd, he looked it. First two calves look like nice black baldies, yesterday's calf is solid black from a distance except for a three inch white stripe down the middle of his face. While he looks solid black up close his hair has a reddish gray tint to it. Calf kinda looks like he could have some simi in him the bull I used sure didn't he was a smaller framed bull.... Looked pure angus.

If the Herfords are pure, it's hard to tell. If they may have something floating around the calf sounds like one of the myriad variations of a baldy that sometimes pop up. We have 3 cows from the same bull/cow breeding. One is a typical black baldy, one is solid red one is solid black, go figure.

Alan you know that he is hetero black so the reddish hair shouldn't be a big surprise. The stripe well like Dun said it's probably just another Baldie variation. How about a picture now and one when he is weaned?

Good thought Vic, I'll snap a pic today. I'll get another close to weaning ..... What about another when he's next to my baked potato and corn on the cob? :mrgreen:

My guess is that the Angus has the wild gene.
Have had a similar case with Red Angus x Hereford and you could see black hair around the muzzle of the solid red RA x H cow.
Randilliana may be able to confirm this or have another explanation.

Carlos F.":1d8bepc7 said:
Have had a similar case with Red Angus x Hereford and you could see black hair around the muzzle of the solid red RA x H cow.

The black hair around the muzzle on a RA is not that wild. When I visited Julian a lot of his 1A RA cattle had it.

3waycross":w49xsbb6 said:
Carlos F.":w49xsbb6 said:

The black hair around the muzzle on a RA is not that wild. When I visited Julian a lot of his 1A RA cattle had it.
Yup, ours comes from Above & Beyond

I would call that a normal baldy variation. Some just have more white than others I have seen it here for 30 years. We cross Hereford and Angus both ways and it will vary more than one might think. Might be able to start a new breed possibly just think of a fancy name and cute marketing scheme. :cboy:

W.B.":nsgya2to said:
I would call that a normal baldy variation. Some just have more white than others I have seen it here for 30 years. We cross Hereford and Angus both ways and it will vary more than one might think. Might be able to start a new breed possibly just think of a fancy name and cute marketing scheme. :cboy:
Black Hereford?

Taurus, no it should have been a white faced black angus. :lol:

here's a pic of the calf, you hopefully see the red hair on his shoulders.

I have baldies out of registered angus/hereford parents with more brown to them than that calf has. I also have a steer that we're getting ready to butcher that really had me puzzled for awhile as he looks solid red from a distance but he's horned and there is not a red bull other than herefords within ten miles of where he was conceived and the cow is black and polled. Now that he's gentled down and a little older I can see two patches on his face with a few white hairs and a spattering on his back so I'm calling it mystery solved.

I would not be shocked if there was Simmy in the bull, it's so popular to mix the two breeds and Simmy frames have really come down.

How many calves are you expecting still?
I'm curious how many have a blaze that clean and defined without other markings on the crest of the neck and shoulders

All of my cows are reg polled herefords, I have been thinking of putting a black angus clean up bull on them for years, just to know where I missed the AI and the clean up bull finished...... Give me an answer to the question " is the calf two weeks early or is it an AI calf?" An black angus bull solves the problem and puts a little more jingle in my pocket.

glacierridge":3a8yb7r0 said:
I would not be shocked if there was Simmy in the bull, it's so popular to mix the two breeds and Simmy frames have really come down.

How many calves are you expecting still?
I'm curious how many have a blaze that clean and defined without other markings on the crest of the neck and shoulders

Yes, yes. First, the calf displays some Simmy characteristics, in fact, I see many that look just like that except more reddish or brown coat. I see white on the belly, udder and other places on many of the simangus and simmental with the white blaze but generally they don't have as much black as this one. Second, I keep seeing Simmentals, including pure breds that are smaller than angus despite the contrary information in breed descriptions that say "simmentals are bigger" than angus. I have yet to see any simmetals or simangus in my area that run any bigger than Black Angus.

inyati13":18ajjwx8 said:
I keep seeing Simmentals, including pure breds that are smaller than angus despite the contrary information in breed descriptions that say "simmentals are bigger" than angus. I have yet to see any simmetals or simangus in my area that run any bigger than Black Angus.
That's one of the changes that the breeds went through lately. Angus got bigger and continetals got smaller. Progress of sorts I suppose

Latest posts