Any Brahmans people out there

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hello from Georgia....
I am having a problem and would appreciate any advice or ideas on how to fix it......
I have an approximately 3 week old baby that I got to raise on a bottle. Well, the guy I got him from said he wasn't taking to a bottle so he started tubing him. He kept him to see if he could get him nursing but to no avail, he still would not take it. I finally got him home and he still hasn't taken to the bottle, so I have been pouring it down him. I have had him now 3 days. I have tried everything I know. Last night, he was not wanting to take it but I kept on, and all of a sudden he got a hold of that bottle and went to sucking, and I praised Jesus because that was an answer to my prayers. I didn't want to give him to much all at once, he took about 2 pints of milk replacer and 20 oz of Bounce Back. Well, I went back down about 3:30 am to give him some more and he wouldn't even attempt it. So I thought maybe he was still full from the last meal. So now today, I went to feed him around 8 am and nothing, not even a holding the nipple. I had to pour it down him again. He is so weak that when he lays down he can't get back up. I have to pick him up and stand him on his feet every time. I am at my wits end, I know it's only been three days, but I am so afraid I am going to lose him. I am not going to give up and pray he doesn't. I have read somewhere that if tubing to long of a time, the calf will not want to suck and wait for the tubing. I also had a guy tell me Brahma calves are not very smart, they give up easy. Even with their mother,if they dont find the teat,pretty quick the'll give up, and lay down and starve. I don't want my baby to die. Any ideas or advice will be greatly appreciated. Kim :help: :???: :cry2:

I'd keep trying the bottle. Maybe slit the nipple so it runs out a little better. Hold it in there he should figure it out. I wouldn't want to tube him to much myself. We have a lot of brahma influenced cattle and I wouldn't call them dumb or weak hearted. Best of luck to you.

All you can do is give it your best effort to save it's life. And it sounds like you are doing a good job of it. So if he makes makes it, you will be the reason he lived. And if he doesn't, then you should feel no guilt for trying. Please let us know how your calf is doing.
Chuckie

I have raised far to many Brahmans on the bottle. And yes they are stupid as babies but make up for it later. Brahman calves are hard to get on the bottle.
This does not seem to be related to ability or smarts. The calf may be weak or constipated. Has he had a bowel movement recently? Could it be that it is not hungry yet?

KBell":232y36oo said:
I finally got him home and he still hasn't taken to the bottle, so I have been pouring it down him.
Be careful about pouring the milk down the calf, if you get milk in the lungs you will exasperate the problem. Good luck.

Latest posts