Antibiotics

Help Support CattleToday:

bull1200

Reaction score
Can you experts rank these (1) being best in terms of efficiency?

Draxxin

Micotil

Baytril

Nuflor + Banamine

Excede

Zactran

Thanks much.

Personally I like to use micotil for mass treats.

For pulls we use micotil 1st, baytrill 2nd, Draxxin 3rd.

Not an excede fan, never tried zactran, Nuflor is too big of a dose and dont like the syringability

cleland":14yce007 said:
Personally I like to use micotil for mass treats.

For pulls we use micotil 1st, baytrill 2nd, Draxxin 3rd.

Not an excede fan, never tried zactran, Nuflor is too big of a dose and dont like the syringability

No kiddin. You should try dosing a 1800lb cow with it 3 times in 6 days.

well i'm no expert but i can giv u my opinion from my experiences.used resflor quite a bit and it was ok.switched to draxxin and love it.way better than nuflor and cheaper when u price it per dose,not to mention the re-treats u hav with nuflor.havent used any of the others since i switched to draxxin.i do know that micotil can be deadly 2 humans if u accidentally poke yourself and that can happen easier than u think.

piedmontese":3smzw0og said:
well i'm no expert but i can giv u my opinion from my experiences.used resflor quite a bit and it was ok.switched to draxxin and love it.way better than nuflor and cheaper when u price it per dose,not to mention the re-treats u hav with nuflor.havent used any of the others since i switched to draxxin.i do know that micotil can be deadly 2 humans if u accidentally poke yourself and that can happen easier than u think.

Do that many people really inject themselves with meds every year?? Amazing :???:

It depends on what I'm giving it for. For navel ill (joint ill), I've had better luck with Nuflor than Draxxin. Nuflor is thicker, but I know I've given it with an 18 gauge needle. I don't know if I've tried a 20 gauge with it, but I have on a lot of medicines that were supposed to be too thick for it.

BTW, I've never injected myself, but once stabbed my finger with a 20 gauge needle.

TexasBred":31lih0hk said:
piedmontese":31lih0hk said:

Do that many people really inject themselves with meds every year?? Amazing :???:
so r u telling me that n all your yrs handling cattle that u have never poked yourself? i thought the guy might be new and that a warning would be a good idea.

piedmontese":rlzix74d said:
TexasBred":rlzix74d said:
piedmontese":rlzix74d said:

so r u telling me that n all your yrs handling cattle that u have never poked yourself? i thought the guy might be new and that a warning would be a good idea.

Pied it has been a lot of years and multiple thousands of shots but danged if I can remember ever sticking myself with a needle, let alone injecting myself.

I stuck myself once in 25 yrs- not with Micotil thankfully.
Still swelled up terrible and I had to squeeze out a pus pocket before it went away.
Just what was on the needle was enough to give problems, I didn't inject any that I know of.
I don't have a squeeze chute(just a head gate) so I won't use Micotil. It only takes once.

TexasBred":7qci3t10 said:

No, but I did drive an implant needle all the way through my thumb. Took a while to get the bleeding stopped, and now my privates are effected. :shock:

Red Bull Breeder":3onuch3z said:
If you do make a miss lick TB, make sure it ain't with micotil. Be no more cold beers for you.

I hear you Bull...guess I've been lucky or just careful. Have used it a lot and know the dangers but heck I'm also allergy to penicillin....almost same results. Never worked with too many nervous, jumpy cattle tho so I'm sure that has helped.

Well it can happen fast. Damm brangus missed the auto catch and tried to jump out the squeeze chute, and I took 10cc of covexin 8 with tetanus in the knuckle of my hand. I won't be using any Micotil any time soon. :dunce:

Used Nuflor for receiving holstein steers and you guys are right about the syringe. Had numerous retreats with it.
Never used Draxxin but a backgrounder south of here swears by it.

shaz":268ks8lb said:
Used Nuflor for receiving holstein steers and you guys are right about the syringe. Had numerous retreats with it.
i lost a few sick calves when using nuflor and i wonder how many i would have saved if i had switched to draxxin sooner.dont think i hav ever had a retreat with draxxin.

piedmontese":3ayvt546 said:
shaz":3ayvt546 said:
i lost a few sick calves when using nuflor and i wonder how many i would have saved if i had switched to draxxin sooner.dont think i hav ever had a retreat with draxxin.

Darn good stuff ain't it. ;-)

Latest posts