Anti-Slip?

Help Support CattleToday:

robertwhite

Reaction score
What if anything are you folks using in your transport trailers to make them less slippery "when wet" (with crap and piss).

I have one of those big rubber mats, but that gets to be a skating rink after a couple minutes. If I leave the mat out, the wood floor (oak planks) will get just as slippery. I had to move a big cow today and she wound up on the floor, even with the partition gate closed. I looked at that anti-slip tape (stair tread tape), but that stuff is ridiculously expensive.

Ideas?

I used a cattle panel nailed down with staples. I wash my floor after I haul and check for loose stays and staples. that's all we have ever used with no problems.

We have an aluminum trailer with aluminum floor. We put wood shavings down. It seems to absorb the liquid and not get slippery.

I use a cattle panel here too but rarely wash the floor. Ought to but it never works out but about annually. Borrowed another trailer the other day with wood only floor and they didn't slip an inch. It was ruff-sawn oak though.

M5farm":45egs54a said:
I used a cattle panel nailed down with staples. I wash my floor after I haul and check for loose stays and staples. that's all we have ever used with no problems.
We do the same thing for our cattle trailers and it works well. Once bit of caution though... if you use the same trailer to move horses and your horses are shod, that can create some havoc because they will sometimes hook the shoe under the wire.

For our horse trailer (aluminum) we have the thick rubber mats and we still put shavings down when transporting the horses.

M5farm":3i4vtqfo said:

Same here and two or three time a year I spray the floor down with diesel as well.

I looked at that anti-slip tape (stair tread tape), but that stuff is ridiculously expensive.

Ideas?[/quote]
You might look at buying the tape online but some of that tape out for sale is junk and some is pretty good anti slip. I've also seen it in a kit form. Some sort of epoxy adhesive and the rock in a bag.

I have always had the rough oak on our cattle trailers. It is really good, as long as you keep em cleaned out after each use.
I dont see how anything could stand up on those rubber mats.
If the oak planks themselves don't work for you, then try nailing some 1x2" pieces on top of the oak planks diagonally to help them stand.
I did that in my solid floor 16' trailer, and it works great.

TennesseeTuxedo":nkatkei6 said:
I was wondering the same thing jrn28. Seems to me diesel would make matters worse.

Even though I wash my trailer after each use the deposit's the cows leave is very corrosive and acidic.
I always spray down where all metal and wood surfaces have contact a couple times a year with diesel.
If you have done this as long as I have I don't want to take the floor out again and weld new metal in.
Got me once twenty years ago hasn't since.

Caustic Burno":3s10w058 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3s10w058 said:
I was wondering the same thing jrn28. Seems to me diesel would make matters worse.

Even though I wash my trailer after each use the deposit's the cows leave is very corrosive and acidic.
I always spray down where all metal and wood surfaces have contact a couple times a year with diesel.
If you have done this as long as I have I don't want to take the floor out again and weld new metal in.
Got me once twenty years ago hasn't since.

Makes sense.

I'm not a fan of the cattle panel on the floor. I also mix a little burnt motor oil with my diesal.

We put wood chips down, and get them for free from the city park and rec. They will load up the back of the pickup, and the kids just shovel it in the trailer. We have the slippery rubber mats on our floor, so there is no way a cow could stand after leaving anything moist behind!

Why not Bigfoot?? I am sure you have a good reason. I have always used bull wire, but I use u-bolts and lock nuts to fasten it to the wood.

We use the heavy rubber mats meant for horse stalls/trailers. Cows don;t slip and they don;t move at all. Heavy and hard to get out for cleaning the trialer and a bear to get back in. We clean the trailer after every haul unless we'll be using it again within a couple of days. I used to swear by the rough cut oak for the trailer floor but eventually it gets worn down and fairly smooth so it's slickery.

I've always just used a cattle panel stapled to the floor. Dried cow manure on the floor works pretty good too to stop slipping. I clean it out about twice a year with a pressure washer.