Ant hills

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
I'm getting more ant hills than I like. What can you kill any hills with that doesn't affect the cattle. I thought of spraying the mounds with lorsban but not sure if that's a good idea with the cows in the field.

I'm getting more ant hills than I like. What can you kill any hills with that doesn't affect the cattle. I thought of spraying the mounds with lorsban but not sure if that's a good idea with the cows in the field.
One of the most important things you can do when you sign up is to put your state on your profile. Let's everyone know what kind of situation you are in, weather, bugs, etc.

Pour boiling water on the nest will get a bunch of them. Otherwise, welcome to my world. Forty years ago, shortly after fire ants came into this part of the world, you didn't dare sit on the ground anywhere, or even rest your hand on a fence post longer than a minute or so. Back then in most pastures there wasn't a spot you could park a pickup without covering up at least two or three.

They decimated the quail population. The only good thing I can say for them is that they also seem to have eliminated seed ticks, but given the choice I'd rather have the ticks.

They've gotten better in recent years. I don't know why.

72bc5be6694e7a8612c6adda93a00eb9.jpg

One of the most important things you can do when you sign up is to put your state on your profile. Let's everyone know what kind of situation you are in, weather, bugs, etc.
How can I go back and and add it? I've tried but can't find where to find my profile that I can change it.

You can mix Borax and sugar in a 50/50 ratio and sprinkle that on the mound. I usually kick the mound to stir them up and bring them out of the ground so they will find the mixture right away. They take it down into the mound for the sugar, but the Borax will kill them. You normally have to treat the mounds a couple of times because they have so many eggs that hatch afterwards. It works and is a natural product.

You can mix Borax and sugar in a 50/50 ratio and sprinkle that on the mound. I usually kick the mound to stir them up and bring them out of the ground so they will find the mixture right away. They take it down into the mound for the sugar, but the Borax will kill them. You normally have to treat the mounds a couple of times because they have so many eggs that hatch afterwards. It works and is a natural product.
I don't think this works for fire ants. They don't care about sugar...they go for protein. For a natural remedy, cold pressed orange oil injected down in the hill will work, but for a pasture??...too expensive and a lot of time involved.

Home Depot sells Ortho Fire Ant Colony Killer - recommended no pets allowed in area for 24-48 hours. I have no idea how well it works.
We used Ortho when we lived in TX and it did seem to work but there was no way to keep the dogs inside that long. No issues, so either they avoided the mounds, or the Ortho didn't bother them. But that could get pretty pricey for a pasture.

Diazanon about had them gone from Ga as soon as they got here, then it got banned and the consumer can't buy it anymore. Licensed commercial pest controllers can still get it. Next best thing that you can still buy yourself is Dursban.

Demand CS, it's a concentrate poison liquid, i kick the mound and spray liberally and they are gone within 10 minutes. But it's time consuming in a pasture. But works

I used Extinguish. Work pretty good for one year but they restock the area quickly in bottom land. A little bit expensive and you need something like a herd seeder to put it out.