ANOTHER WEED

Help Support CattleToday:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

Anyone know what kinda weed this is ? and what would work well to kill it,I have this stuff in fence rows and it grows tight around trees so you really can not use a shredder on it,if it gets enough moisture I have seen it grow thick and get almost 6 feet tall.....................good luck

Looks like frost weed to me. The dead stalks extrude ribbons of ice in the winter.

It's been my observation that if it's growing where a shredder can't get it then that area isn't going to be much use for grazing either. If it's growing in the woodlands I generally let it be.

I don't know what it is but I bet 2-4d will at least make it sick. I would at least try 2-4d first as it is the cheapest if it works.

Does it get little white berry/flower looking things at the very top? It sort of looks like poke the white berry/flower things would be the giveaway. The berrys change color when they ripen but I can;t for the life of me remember what color they turn.

dun

dun":2xprsizk said:
Does it get little white berry/flower looking things at the very top? It sort of looks like poke the white berry/flower things would be the giveaway. The berrys change color when they ripen but I can;t for the life of me remember what color they turn.

dun

yes Dun,if memory serves me right I believe it does get some sort of white berry in late summer/fall,milesvb nailed it,because it sure does extrude ribbons of ice when it freezes,wonder what would kill it ? 2-4d like alabama suggests ?...............good luck

HAY MAKER":2j6wyqe3 said:
yes Dun,if memory serves me right I believe it does get some sort of white berry in late summer/fall,milesvb nailed it,because it sure does extrude ribbons of ice when it freezes,wonder what would kill it ? 2-4d like alabama suggests ?...............good luck

If it's poke, 2,4-d will kill it

dun

i dont think its pokeweed although the first picture does look similar. pokeweed berries turn a dark purple color as they ripen.

the first picture to me also looked similar to beauty berry which also has purple berries but i dont think it is either of these weeds.

milesvb":157cuqsh said:
http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H26.htm

http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/mbierner/bio4 ... ginica.htm

I know drift from remedy/diesel will kill it (along with everything else). It is generally a shade loving species. Haymaker's live oaks probably have some pretty thick stands under them and it makes a good place for deer to lay up. I haven't seen it become a problem in open grass pastures yet.

You are right milesvb,it dont get in open pastures,but it can sure get thick in scattered oaks and tall, add cedar and you have a mess,weeds that grow that thick and tall hafta be useing alot of moisture,I need to find something that I can sray them with that wont hurt oak trees............good luck

If it isn;t in the open it's not poke. We get an occasional stray under a tree, but the majority of it is out in the middle of the pasture

dun

dun":1siflosi said:
If it isn;t in the open it's not poke. We get an occasional stray under a tree, but the majority of it is out in the middle of the pasture

dun

I think it is frost weed, always wondered its name if it grew out in the open I would just shred them,because I really dont like useing weed killers,I have a creek that runs thru the place and IM sure it will find its way into it.............good luck

Around here any plant that has a fiborous stem and gets hit with a frrze before it drys up creates what they call frost flowers. Basically it's the frozen juice from inside the stem rupturing the stem. Poke does it, but so do a hundred other plants
dun

Yes, I have some growing behind the barn and I have always thought it was poke. Is that the stuff that folks will use to make poke salad? I remember a old woman who used to get some where we used to live. I thought that stuff was poinsonous. Just wondering... Haven't thought of that in a long time.

Latest posts