another tractor question

Help Support CattleToday:

saltbranch

Reaction score
500 acres of ranch, brush etc. A Lot of use will be brush clearing- I am currently using a 54 hp Case with a ratchet rake on the FEL for the brush. Then shredding, discing, cleaning up dead fall stacking into burn piles. Eventually planting seed and fertilizer. Loading/unloading hay.
As bad as I want a skid steer I just keep thinking a 75ish hp tractor,4wd, with FEL would be better all around money spent. I like the 485 Case, it does good on the brush, small enough to maneuver easy in the brush and load up and transport on a 20'14k capacity trailer. I want more power for pulling bigger disc and other equipment My Uncle has a JD4020 and its useless when you get into the think brush, tall and hard to maneuver. We are in very sandy loam type area.
Whats your thoughts and opinions? Brand?....I am not brand loyal, just want something that will take a beating. Also one the hours on a tractor, whats considered high....like 300,000 miles on a car type thing?

What kind of brush are you in that a jd4020 is useless? What kind of equipment are you pulling that the jd4020 is underpowered? What is your budget for a tractor purchase? Hours question is something discussed many times on here and various opinions will come out. I have a jd4020 that I use to bushhog and cut small trees with no problems what so ever. JD4020 is about a 90hp tractor. The case 485 is around 45 hp I think so im not sure what you truly are looking for. I do like 4wd with FEL for what you are trying to do. My all around tractor that I use for baling loading and other tasks is a ford 6640 with fel not 4wd though.

Let me clarify, my Uncles 4020 physical size is its limiting factor in the brush. The 4020 pulls fine. The 485 being smaller is easier to work the brushy areas, yet pulling a heavy disc is tough on it. Thats why I want a inbetween tractor to fit the bill We are in mesquite brush type areas

saltbranch":q4u22kjr said:
Let me clarify, my Uncles 4020 physical size is its limiting factor in the brush. The 4020 pulls fine. The 485 being smaller is easier to work the brushy areas, yet pulling a heavy disc is tough on it. Thats why I want a inbetween tractor to fit the bill

I understand so basically you want a short tractor with alot of hp ? no cab? budget?

I have only owned one kubota and that lasted 1 week so I didn't suggest Kubota but my next NEW tractor will be a kubota for sure. I just dont know enough about kubota tractors to tell you which to choose... I have ford case jd and long thats all I truly know about. no war just suggesting what I know.

saltbranch":jyrhw0v7 said:
3 point Krause heavy duty cross cut, about 8' wide.ITs a big disc, not a tractor supply type stuff. Prolly weighs 1500-2000lbs on its own.

gotcha thats not that big of a disc .

Just on the web for now. Waiting on the royalty check to come in next month :banana: We had a well drilled and its a good en for this area. Tractor gonna be Daddies new toy.

most importantly is find one not cause of what someone here suggested but find one thats comfortable to you.. all of us on here are build all different shapes and sizes and whats comfortable for me may not be for you and vice versa.

saltbranch":23apnu24 said:
3 point Krause heavy duty cross cut, about 8' wide.ITs a big disc, not a tractor supply type stuff. Prolly weighs 1500-2000lbs on its own.
One thing you'll definitly need is front wheel assist/FWD. A new ground disc takes a lot of traction to be able to cut anything over a half inch deep.

We have a jd 5365 and we love it. Pulls baler, 12 foot hd bush hog and moves anything we need it too. We have steep grades here too so it's not flat.. Might be something to check out.

you need a stout old 4wd 85hp tractor that you dont mind beating the fire out of.i would not buy a new tractor an put it in the brush.