another sick calf!

Help Support CattleToday:

c_bishop679

Reaction score
I'm new here too, and desperately seeking advice. Already called the vet. Have a calf about 3 weeks old. Was very healthy until this morning. Took his morning feeding great and was down at 11 a.m. when my husband looked in on him. Laying on side, scouring (running pretty constant) looking totally dehydrated. Gave 3 cc LA-200, sulfa tab, electroyles through feeding tube. Can't stand, very cold. Turned on heat lamp. Is there anything else I can do? Can't afford an IV. Should I continue replacer for feeding tonight?

He is bottle fed. I have enough electrolytes for one more feeding tonight. I'm afraid we're going to lose him. He is so dehydrated. How often can I give him fluids when tube feeding and how much fluid should I be giving him? I will force plain water if it will get him through the night. My husband is bringing more electrolytes home in the morning. He seems to have a "cold" too. Runny nose and some mucus from his mouth.

I have gotten them re-hydrated by injecting some electros, diluted more that directed, solution subcutaneously ALL AROUND THE BODY. Not much in each injection, just distributed around. If you are out of electros try with some saline solution. Sounds like the dehydration is the worst part right now. Try this, it could work. Good Luck - MK

Me again....when was the last time you tubed the electros? Try some Pepto in the tube to stop him up. Again...the dehydration needs to be stopped. Something else may kill him, but the dehydration will definately do it. MK

I've got another calf, too, and I'm headed out to feed him in a few minutes. It's been about 3 hours since I fed the electros to my sick one. His scours has a lot of mucus and is very pale yellow. His eyes are sunken almost flush with his his eye socket, about a 1/4 inch receeded at the tear duct. Is it too early to feed him water now? How much pepto and will that interact with the sulfa I already gave him?

you can make more electrolyte
white corn syrup 8 talblespoons
salt 2 teaspoons
baking soda 1 tsp
warm water 1 gal
feed 2 1/2 pints 4 times a day

have used honey or maple syrup as a substitute for syrup, think sugar would work also

I will try the recipe. Any advice about the Pepto? Feedstore is closed, can't get "animal approved" product until morning. I have pepto tablets, will they work?

We lost him.... hate it when that happens! Thank you everyone for all of your help and advice. I am taking notes that hopefully I'll never have to use... but just in case!! This site is great and I will be back! My other little guy seems so lonely now. :(

Sorry about your loss.

Keep an eye on that other calf. I've found when I have calves kept together, if one gets scours, the others usually get it too. I have five here with scours right now. :(

Sorry bout the loss too. Sure seems like you did everything you could do to let him hang in there, but it happens sometimes. Just seems especially tough when you try for a week or so as by then you've pretty much bonded with em. Best of luck next time. :(

Give it a week and get another little guy. They do need the company. But let is settle and see how the one you have does. Pale yellow almost white scours? Maybe e-coli. Did you do any scour guard or other treatment when you first got him? Did they get colostrum? As far as the pepto...I have given it straight and in water or milk before. I usually dose a 100lb calf as directed for an adult. Don't be too discouraged. Like I said, give it w ekke and get a buddy. Just think about some preventative stuff. MK

What did the vet say?

Am wondering about enterotoxcymia. Had that a couple years ago. Kills fast and can't be saved without some Clostridium. Watch the other one.