Another calf question

Help Support CattleToday:

rosiegoat

Reaction score
We are looking at a 2 month hereford calf. She's on her mom, but the size of a newborn. Mom never has much milk.

We ideally wanted a bottle calf (since our son will be doing this for the first time). Would you or could you bucket feed this baby milk replacer? She is really tiny, like I said. She was the same size as the newborn in the herd (which is not for sale! :( ).

Thinking about offering something for the other little heifer, but not seeing him selling her. He likes her momma. I already tried once.

Also might be getting a weanling in Dec-Jan (horse that is!) Woo Hoo! A cute little paint.

Well, we've been looking since March this year for a calf!!

This is what we've found:

1. A 3 year old Black Angus cow, bred for 2007 - $1,000
(she was quite skinny for an angus)
2. 3 month old Black Angus heifer - $350
3. 2.5 month old Hereford/WhitePark - $300
(the one we returned!!)
4. 15 year old Hereford cow - a real deal (didn't even go there!
(farmer said she was good for hamburger!)
5. 2 month old hereford calf - $150
6. New born hereford calf - $350

Absolutley NO ONE will sell a bottle calf!! The auction has some really, really pathetic ones, mostly holstein crosses. DH said nope to those. And really, you have more into nursing them back, than you bought them for. Around here anyway.

Theres a farm about 5 miles down the road from me. Hereford mixes. Lots & lots of little calves. Lots & lots of cows. I call & ask to buy 1, maybe 2 babies. Nope they aren't set up to sell. Ok, how do they get rid of them?

This is just so darn frustrating!! We haven't had cows for about 10 years. Didn't know they became gold!!

Keep asking around, Rosie. Someone is bound to have an orphaned calf. Obviously, you will need to ask before the calf is born. They are probably easier to find in the spring, when most calving is going on.

I think Msscamp said on another post that it is very difficult to get a nursing calf to accept a bottle. 2 months old is old enought to not bottle it any more.

Another option is to start with a holstein calf, raise it, sell it and use that money to buy a 3 month old calf that is ready for hay and grain.

I may be misunderstanding you,but why would you expect somebody just take a good calf off a beefcow to sell you, just so you can bottle feed it.Unless it is not getting any milk or its mama died I don't think anybody would.They will let the cow raise it then wean it and take it to the sale etc.You need to check some dairy's to find one or put the word out that you are looking for orphaned calves.You'll find one, but dont expect anybody to just give you one,but you might get lucky.

In my neck of the woods, it used to be common place to buy any breed calf to bottle raise, beef or dairy. Lots of small, family type farms, who would gladly help you out.

How does anyone start? You have to start somewhere with cattle. We just want to safely start our son. Not some 6 month old cow/steer that will run off, or such. We've had lots of success with the young calves. We are not novices to cattle, just been out of the loop for awhile.

At the farm with the little heifer, the farmer knows that this calf should've been pulled from mom. Her calves are always smaller, because of the milk supply. That's why he offered it to us. So why wouldn't we be able to bucket feed her for another month to boost her a little?

I would stay away from that calf as well. To me it sounds like it is either stunted or else it is a dwarf. Plus, you will likely have a lot of trouble getting it onto the bottle. And once the stress of leaving its mother hits it there is a good chance that it will get sick on you, especially if it has been starved, and you have trouble getting it to take a bottle.

The only time that beef producers will sell a baby calf is if it is an orphan and they don't have another cow to put it on. We sell our calves when they are over 5 months old and hopefully weighing more than 500 lbs. If we sell a calf that is smaller than that we have a hard time making enough money to pay for the cow's expenses (feed, vet, grazing....) So if you want to buy a baby from a farmer you will either have to find an orphan or be willing to offer him a lot more money.

I would suggest (as others have) that you go to a dairy and if you are lucky you may find a beef x dairy calf, they are usually quite happy to sell any bull calves that they have, it means less work for them.

FROGHOLLOWFARM":2lvz8v5v said:
I may be misunderstanding you,but why would you expect somebody just take a good calf off a beefcow to sell you, just so you can bottle feed it.Unless it is not getting any milk or its mama died I don't think anybody would.They will let the cow raise it then wean it and take it to the sale etc.You need to check some dairy's to find one or put the word out that you are looking for orphaned calves.You'll find one, but dont expect anybody to just give you one,but you might get lucky.

Right on. I wouldn't be quite so polite if you came to our place and asked for one of our newborns. Also we are quite capable of bottle feeding our own orphans. Take someone that knows what they are doing to the salebarn with you and buy a couple of calves already, if they live great, if not you will learn something. Good luck :)

I was not trying to offend you.What are your plans for the calf is it going to be a pet,or are you going to slaughter it or start a herd.If you plan on starting a herd, I would not start with orphaned calves.I would go buy some good young bred cows or pairs out of good stock and start there.You might could find a farmer/rancher that has an older bred cow that is real gentle and wanting to get rid of.Then the calf should tame down pretty good if you are around it alot.

rosiegoat":1rrtx4hx said:
We ideally wanted a bottle calf (since our son will be doing this for the first time).

Why would you think that raising a bottle calf is easy? You don't mention what your son is trying to do, but if your son is doing this for the first time, you would be farther ahead to get a weaning calf that is past the age of scours, has had his vaccinations, and is started on feed.

Would you or could you bucket feed this baby milk replacer?

Yes, you could - but it would be an uphill battle and I'm not sure you would win it. No, I wouldn't buy this calf, nor would I try to transition her over to milk replacer at this age. This calf is probably stunted for life - she would probably grow with the proper feed, but she will probably not achieve her optimum growth given her start in life.

Also might be getting a weanling in Dec-Jan (horse that is!) Woo Hoo! A cute little paint.

It sounds to me like your heart is with horses, not cattle.

Latest posts