another butchering question

Help Support CattleToday:

footballjdtractor":1a1s5xvg said:
sounds like my butcher is right on. I have sent lots of cattle to be cut up but I guess I've never weighed the finished amount or had a customer do so. The locker beef business is becoming a real pain I might start turning people away and just take some for family and longtime customers that pay well. I'm getting tired of having chase down people who don't pay or are real slow payers or call several times complaining, too fat, too lean, too big, to small, too expensive.

That is why I sell all my beef by the package weight, I don't have to weight for people to pick their beef up at the processor and then wait to get paid. I get paid when I deliver the beef, this however invlolves going to a USDA inspected processor or I think in states that have their own inspection services for retail beef. Also, there can be a big difference in the quality of butchering between processors, that is real important in the quality of the beef, mainly in the slaughtering process I think is when they can screw the beef up. Most processesors I see around here all do a good job trimming the fat nowadays.

footballjdtractor":2300daha said:
sounds like my butcher is right on. I have sent lots of cattle to be cut up but I guess I've never weighed the finished amount or had a customer do so. The locker beef business is becoming a real pain I might start turning people away and just take some for family and longtime customers that pay well. I'm getting tired of having chase down people who don't pay or are real slow payers or call several times complaining, too fat, too lean, too big, to small, too expensive.

It all boils down to education. If you educate your customers beforehand as to what they will get, you will have less problems - it doesn't eliminate them but reduces them tremdously. Take a look at our website ( http://www.sellfarm.com ) where we explain to our customers exactly where eveything goes and what they might expect to get. Use whatever material you want from it.

I am thinking of putting something like the material on the site in the final letter to customers with the bill. It doesn't hurt to reinforce the message.

We bill the client they day the animal is taken to slaughter. They pick up the beef three plus weeks later. They must pay immedicately, and before pickup, or they do not get the beef. No one has ever received beef they didn't pay for in the past five years.

After all this is a business for us, not a hobby.

Billy