Another alternative feed question

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
I can buy milk replacer that got lumpy and could not be sold very cheaply. Is there a way that can be worked into a finishing ration without excessive risk for digestive problems?

The guy I can buy it from suggested that 4 100lb bags should be mixed into 10 small square bales of straw and be ground together. The mix sounds a bit rich to me.

What about just lightly topdressing their current finishing ration?

Anyone with experience or suggestions in this regard? I am talking about weanling calves not small nursing calves?

Knersie I have a friend that mixes old milk replacer with his grain ration. Gives about $10 for a 50 lb. bag. Just keep in mind that its at least 20% protein. Most of your yeast products as well as the vitamins have probably already deteriorated so you want get much good out of them. Just start lightly and "watch".

yes you can use that old clumpy milk replacer to topdress your feed.but id make sure to break up the clumps of powdered milk.an mix it with the feed an put it in a trough.now it may take awhile to get the calves used to eating that mix.id prolly mix 20lbs of powdered milk to 100lbs of feed.

KNERSIE":3d72qtt3 said:
I can buy milk replacer that got lumpy and could not be sold very cheaply. Is there a way that can be worked into a finishing ration without excessive risk for digestive problems?

Yep. I know quite a few people who topdress their young calves grain with milk replacer. It would appear to be a satisfactory way of delivering milk, and they have had no problems doing it that I know of. I do not know how much they topdress with, though - sorry.

Latest posts