Annual cost per head

Help Support CattleToday:

preston39

Reaction score
"Tips for Profit
Cattle-Fax: Cow Costs Vary Significantly Between Regions
Based on a survey of cow-calf producers, Cattle-Fax recently reported the cash costs to carry a cow in various regions of the U.S. in 2004.

Table 1. Average Regional Cow Costs ($/Head), 2004a

Region Feed Labor Interest Other Totall costs

Northwest 206 63 19 91 379
Southwest 196 42 25 7 270
Midwest 219 37 19 51 326
Southern Plains 185 52 29 51 317
Southeast 165 45 26 46 282
U.S. avg. 194 48 24 49 315
aAdapted from Cattle-Fax®, July, 2005.

Total cash costs were highest in the Northwest and lowest in the Southwest and Southeast. Feed costs were lowest in the Southeast and Southern Plains, and highest in the Midwest.

The national average for feed costs as a percentage of total costs was 62%. Therefore, working on reducing feed costs would appear to be a reasonable place to start in lowering cost of production and thereby enhancing profitability.
-- Michigan State University Fall Beef Cattle Research Update"

The national average for feed costs as a percentage of total costs was 62%. Therefore, working on reducing feed costs would appear to be a reasonable place to start in lowering cost of production and thereby enhancing profitability.
-- Michigan State University Fall Beef Cattle Research Update"

I really hate to see some of these type articles. Some people take them out of perspective and reduce feed consumption on cattle until it costs them MORE money.

Cattle MUST have enough feed or forage to express a reasonable resemblance of their genetic potential, or you might as well own scrubs.

I agree with your comment wholeheartedly. The article should have stessed that reduction of feed cost without sacrificing nutritional value nor allowing cattle condition to suffer as a result is the best way to reduce production costs. Otherwise, as you say , costs in the long run will go up as your conception % & growth rates decrease.

Farminlund":s2ct9cji said:
I agree with your comment wholeheartedly. The article should have stessed that reduction of feed cost without sacrificing nutritional value nor allowing cattle condition to suffer as a result is the best way to reduce production costs. Otherwise, as you say , costs in the long run will go up as your conception % & growth rates decrease.

Thanks, you said it much better than I did.

However - when you knock the props out from under cows, like creep feeding, extra grain in winter, etc - you soon find out which cows are making a profit for you and which cows you are working to support. Mother nature sure knows how to cull cows. Cow business is easy when the $ are high for calves -it is when the $ get lower that the cattlemen are seperated from the hobby farmers.

My concern for the figures presented is why the massive difference in "other" expenses from region to region.

We have known for years that feed cost is the biggest expense - yet many keep on trying to sellect for the biggest cows and the biggest eaters, then wonder why the profit is low.

I think the higher feed cost for the midwest/Northern region is due to the fact we have winter. No such thing as a "winter pasture" around here. It's corn silage and hay.

Larry Sansom":20zkolm0 said:
However - when you knock the props out from under cows, like creep feeding, extra grain in winter, etc - you soon find out which cows are making a profit for you and which cows you are working to support. Mother nature sure knows how to cull cows. Cow business is easy when the $ are high for calves -it is when the $ get lower that the cattlemen are seperated from the hobby farmers.

My concern for the figures presented is why the massive difference in "other" expenses from region to region.

We have known for years that feed cost is the biggest expense - yet many keep on trying to sellect for the biggest cows and the biggest eaters, then wonder why the profit is low.
Larry, What is the diet of your cows during the winter months.

Agree with Dee....we're on full hay feed now and won't have pasture until late April if we're lucky usually mid/late May before it is high enough not to be hurt by grazing...DMc

Here in my part of Az. we should feed once in awhile but we do not I once had an uncle up in Globe that refused to feed anything but his bulls said if a cow could not make he sure did not need to feed her. We lose an old cow or two this time of year because of the warm days and cool nites (and they are cleaning up the cactus fruit) Good Luck :D

la4angus":3nd9rdzc said:
Larry Sansom":3nd9rdzc said:

Larry, What is the diet of your cows during the winter months.
We typically are on Stockpile Fescue until early to mid Feb - both Summer calving (May June) and Fall calving (Sept Oct) cows. Last several years we have bred fall cows on Stockpile - pulling bulls Feb 1 and have all calved with in 45 of a 60 day breeding period. When we run out of stockpile - I use the long cut vaccum haylage system from New Zealand. By far cheaper than equipment cost for hay, no wet forage, and good nutrition,no drop in omega 3 for cows and a simple 1 man 1 tractor, 1 pass over the field operation. More on my web site or you might have seen it advertised in Stockman Grass Farmer.

Latest posts