AngusxHerford

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullitt":zuyxsazb said:
True Grit Farms":zuyxsazb said:
Bullitt":zuyxsazb said:
Yes, I understand that. I was just saying I think something like a Simmental would be best to breed to the Braford cows. From what I read, the best results are achieved with three separate breeds. Usually it involves a British breed, such as Hereford, a continental European breed, such as a Simmental, and a breed like Brahman.

If you cross Braford and Brangus, they both have Brahman genetics so you lose some of the potential you can get with a three-way cross, I believe. I may be wrong on this, though.
Well I don't know about what the books say, but I'm not into trying to reinvent the wheel. You can try whatever you want, but in the south you can't beat a baldie or tiger stripe for a commercial momma cow. And no matter what the Simmental pimps think, Angus is what adds marble and tenderness to beef.

I am not trying to pimp any breed. I agree about Baldies and Tigerstripe cows here in Texas.

I think an Angus bull on Braford cows would be good. It seems that Angus from Scotland and Hereford from England are far enough apart genetically to make a good cross.
Ain't no cattle around here from England and Scotland, there all from the US of A.

True Grit Farms":27mflhsm said:
Ain't no cattle around here from England and Scotland, there all from the US of A.

Herefords were developed in England and Angus were developed in Scotland.

Bullitt":1b24jz9u said:
True Grit Farms":1b24jz9u said:

Herefords were developed in England and Angus were developed in Scotland.
I believe they were developed long before there was such a place as England or Scotland myself.

I agree with most comments on this thread about the pairing of the 2 breeds. Hereford seem to be a better fit for cows for many reasons. But good Hereford cows are hard to find here as well. And as someone else already posted, there seem to be Angus bulls for sale everywhere. I've always enjoyed Hereford cows and my experience has been they are much more calm than Angus cows. Maybe just my experiences though? Either way, they make a fantastic cross

Latest posts