19. Hoover Dam
20. SAV Ten Speed
21. Connealy Consensus 7229
22. JMB Traction 292
23. KCF Bennett Fortress
24. GAR Sunrise
25. EXAR Stud

New for 2017: WR Journey, Plattemere Weigh Up, EF Commando, SAV Renown,
SAV Ten Speed, JMB Traction, KCF Bennett Fortress, GAR Sunrise, EXAR Stud.

Out for 2017:
Baldridge Waylon, EXAR Denver, EXAR Upshot, Connealy Final Product,
SAV Final Answer, VAR Reserve, Barstow Cash, Sitz Upward, SAV Bismarck, SAV Brilliance.

I never realized Tour of Duty was such a popular bull. I don't think I know of anyone who has used him and I have hardly ever seen any of his progeny for sale in my neck of the woods -- heifers or bulls.

For those out there who have used him, what do you like about his calves and what traits does he improve/build on?

I know there are people around here who have used him and I have seen a handful sell between stevenson angus, basin has had a few at the montana bull coop, seen some heifers of his at stars of montana, etc. They seem to look good on paper but I haven't been all that impressed with them in person and from the ones I have seen neither have the other people at the sales as none of them sold that high. The lead off bull at another local sale where my mother is serving the food is a tour of duty so I will likely go look at him and again, looks good on paper but we will see in person. Because of this I always find it surprising that he remains up there but some people must really like him

Luckiamute":1blpbimj said:
I never realized Tour of Duty was such a popular bull. I don't think I know of anyone who has used him and I have hardly ever seen any of his progeny for sale in my neck of the woods -- heifers or bulls.

For those out there who have used him, what do you like about his calves and what traits does he improve/build on?
Believe he'll add frame without sacrificing thickness. Very docile. If he's like his sire, war party, he will make some great, albeit very large, cows.

I think Rampage is stealing Tour of Duty's thunder. I lump those two together because they are both ABS bulls that seem to have hit the scene at the same time. You see a lot more Rampage calves being high-sellers at sales.

I believe top 3 or 4 were not separated by much. Also, TOD # of registrations nothing compared to Ten X the last few years. I would think the list will change more dramatically with so many choices and marketing of sons, etc. I wouldn't mind seeing the next 25 after this list, would definitely give you a preview of what is about to hit the ground

SAV with only one in the top 17.
EXAR best is 25th
Prophet, Hoover Dam, and 7229 still hanging in there

torogmc81":2r4x800n said:
EXAR best is 25th
Why so negative on SAV?
What wrong with landing 5, 18 and 20th place ?
Isn't 3 better than 2 like Gar at 15 and 24 or VAR at 9 and 14?

Popularity is important to being in the top 25, but what's behind the popularity?
Landing on the list all starts with getting semen into a very large number of registered cows.
Which might be more a measure of marketing, publicity and connection to a big strong sales force rather than being
any reliable measure of genetic merit.

Think it would be interesting if a list was made of total semen sales rather than registrations. Then the commercial cattle operations would be factored in instead of just the seedstock operations.

Being the best son or daughter of any sire on the list is most impressive due to the sheer number of 1/2 siblings.

That makes Mill Bar Hickok the son of Consensus 7229 at ABS all the more interesting to me.

Select Sires claims #22 JMB Traction $25 was their top seller last year, must be popular with commercial cattlemen too.

It's amazing that Traction would be the best seller with his high milk epd +34 and CED -1.
I think his milk epd was around +50 before the AAA changed the epds.
I would assume if you had the total sales it would be an easy calving bull?? Although Traction must be good.

Son of Butch,
Have you heard anything about Mr. JT Oahe Dam? I know that his first photo really made him look thick.
Now, all of the Accelerated Genetics bulls look about the same.

Not a bad list, would use 6 bulls on this list. Have used 2 bulls, too early to tell on either of them. Will use one bull on list this year. (All In)

Would love to see the list with total semen sales involved including sales to commercial guys including.

Son of Butch":elstt7gy said:
torogmc81":elstt7gy said:
EXAR best is 25th
Why so negative on SAV?
What wrong with landing 5, 18 and 20th place ?
Isn't 3 better than 2 like Gar at 15 and 24 or VAR at 9 and 14?

Popularity is important to being in the top 25, but what's behind the popularity?
Landing on the list all starts with getting semen into a very large number of registered cows.
Which might be more a measure of marketing, publicity and connection to a big strong sales force rather than being
any reliable measure of genetic merit.

I'm not being negative, just pointing out an observation, especially with how much press they get.

Son of Butch":2wfh0v8r said:
Hoover Dam's best son... SS Niagara .... J Edgar Hoover.... MR JT Oahe Dam .... or is there another to consider?

Boulder (GenEx) has some nice daughters out there, good udders. I would think not enough prog to be considered HD's best, though, for sure.

Lazy M":23o8x295 said:
Think it would be interesting if a list was made of total semen sales rather than registrations. Then the commercial cattle operations would be factored in instead of just the seedstock operations.
Agreed. Hoover Dam, Prophet, Rampage, and many others would have a big jump in numbers. I would think semen companies releasing anything more than their top 5 would do more harm than good. I don't think they want to give away that a bull they pushed hard in marketing didn't meet expectations. I could be completely wrong on that angle .... someone might know different?

We purchased a bred heifer, daughter to RB Tour of Duty and I have an confirmed heifer ET out of RB Confirmed. This is the first RB we've been a part of. I am extremely excited for this future ET calf. I know he isn't on the top 25 but he's pretty snazzy.

when TOD came on the scene his numbers were crazy high, everybody had to have it, when the true numbers came out he flopped, still ok numbers but not the greatest bull ever. so last year they had all these TOD calves they really don't want to go commercial so lots of regitrations!!!! next year id bet he wont make the top 25.
Theres 1 bull in the top 25 at $20, 7 at $25, 7 at $30, 7 above $30, 3 unavailable
Now a question for those that want to know total semen sales, if you knew that this bull 18594249 was the very top seller( just first $20 bull I came to)would it sway you to use him??? Commercial folks usually go for a lower price with growth more terminal...

Just my observation, but I think the changing of the guard so to speak happens very often. There are always new up and coming highly promoted bulls especially with the heavy reliance on AI within the Angus breed. A few years back, bulls like Final Answer and In Focus were heavily used and for several years were on that list at or near the top. Over time sons of those bulls as well as other new ones came on the scene, and also semen supply can get scarce are some reasons that the lists fluctuate. With age and information recorded from progeny, EPD changes can influence demand for semen sales as well.
I remember a few years ago, some SAV bulls were heavily used like Final Answer, Net Worth, Bismarck. Then seemed like Connealy was the name for while with bulls like Final Product, Impression, Consensus.

The potential is awesome when you have such a dynamic breed full of the latest and greatest technology that is growing so fast and so full of promising young genetics. Of course, the potential to go off track is just as awesome. Now real breeders can be three or four generations into junk before they figure out they made a mistake.

Latest posts