Angus sire

Help Support CattleToday:

Old_man_emu

Reaction score
I am looking at a number of bulls to purchase semen from to use over my commercial cows to breed replacements females and heavy yearling steers.

I'm not really looking to change anything in female herd, more so I'm looking to retain the traits I have. The cows are what I would call medium to large Angus females, are reasonable long, deep and easy doing. Some of the cows tend to throw calves that are a bit early maturing and the steers from those types end up fat and run out of growth at the lower end of my target weight range or as heifers they are too small end up culled.

Have any of you used BR AMBUSH 28?

http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.php?option=com_php&Itemid=114&id=59

He has been very popular in Australia. I am conserned by some of his Australian numbers being -0.8 for scrotal (ave +1.4) and 0 for milk (ave +12) although I have plenty of milk in my cows already.

I saw a son of his I would have liked to purchase last year but the breeder priced him outside my budget as though to say "anything is for sale for the right amount of money.

In perusing B/R AMBUSH 28's phenotype and EPD's, and comparing him to your video of your cows, it seems that you have a winner! With the milk traits that your cows display, and his Milk EPD being 12, along with his Marbling and REA characteristics, I think that you have a winner! This is Multiple Trait selection protocols done correctly!

DOC HARRIS

i would like to see a little more milk, i like for a bull to be around 20 on milk epd, he has a good rea score at 63 like doc said, and just good balanced numbers, except maybe a little taller than i like. wqith a mat height of 60 inches.

I used him and wasn't impressed with the heifer I got, she was out of my best cow and was smaller than normal. That wasn't the biggest issue, she was about half crazy, and we never caught her cycling. We ate her, that is where she shined, would grade Prime easily and the best flavor I have had yet.

B R Ambush 28 isn't too bad -- his calving ease isn't that great and his MM is pretty low for keeping heifers, but like you said you may have enough MM in your cows already which is normally the case in blk Angus. His carcass merits are good.

JS

RD-Sam":2g2o2vqi said:
I used him and wasn't impressed with the heifer I got, she was out of my best cow and was smaller than normal. That wasn't the biggest issue, she was about half crazy, and we never caught her cycling. We ate her, that is where she shined, would grade Prime easily and the best flavor I have had yet.
If you "weren't impressed" with the heifer you got out of your "best" cow using the characteristics and traits of BR Ambush 28, perhaps you should 're-evaluate' your seedstock cow herd. :cry2:

DOC HARRIS

one's I've seen have been pretty plain looking, he's a numbers bull and that's about all.

I need to look at TC Total again, I do remember having looked at him but i don't remember why I wasn't more interested.
The guy I brought my last bull from has some Ambush as well as a big seedstock producer he works with. I will have to go pay him a visit....

OME, I suggest Hyline Right Way 781 (Agrigene have the semen and its reasonably priced). I first used him when he was available on Edge program and am still using him. He is the most consistent AI sire I have ever used with his sons selling as sires and his daughters making excellent replacement females. On the progeny evaluation done by Agrigene he scores 8 out of 9 for all categories (feet and legs/disposition/muscle/frame/body depth). He puts great udders and teats on daughters, with good hip to pin and excellent body length. He will put the length, growth and weight into the steers you want to produce. He is not suitable for heifers (higher birthweight) but would be fine over cows and his daughters have good calving ease. His progeny are very stylish (good sorts!). I can email you some photos if you wish.

if you are registering Angus you will have to watch Total for too much white.

DOC HARRIS":27qsd0tk said:
RD-Sam":27qsd0tk said:
If you "weren't impressed" with the heifer you got out of your "best" cow using the characteristics and traits of BR Ambush 28, perhaps you should 're-evaluate' your seedstock cow herd. :cry2:

DOC HARRIS

Perhaps you should buy some cattle and use the sire before recommending him? My best cow has raised the best calf every year so far, and Ambush 28 was the worst calf she had. My best cows daughter out of Foresight will likely raise one of the best calves this year as well. I think I have done just fine at evaluating and culling. :tiphat:

jscunn":l3k50yex said:
Robert,
the ones you have seen must have been BETTER than the ones I have seen.

Now hold on, Doc said he was a "winner", so it must be so. :)

diana55":2esxg3xl said:
OME, I suggest Hyline Right Way 781 (Agrigene have the semen and its reasonably priced). I first used him when he was available on Edge program and am still using him. He is the most consistent AI sire I have ever used with his sons selling as sires and his daughters making excellent replacement females. On the progeny evaluation done by Agrigene he scores 8 out of 9 for all categories (feet and legs/disposition/muscle/frame/body depth). He puts great udders and teats on daughters, with good hip to pin and excellent body length. He will put the length, growth and weight into the steers you want to produce. He is not suitable for heifers (higher birthweight) but would be fine over cows and his daughters have good calving ease. His progeny are very stylish (good sorts!). I can email you some photos if you wish.
I will have to do the sums Dianna but he looks a very good option. I know KO have used his sire a fair bit but not 781 from what I can see. Based on the photos I like the look of 781 better anyway.

RD-Sam":19t7kfvw said:
jscunn":19t7kfvw said:
Robert,

Ambush 28 has a good number of progeny here in Australia and has been used extensively by some of the biggest seedstock producers in the country. Some of his daughters have made it as donors in ET programs and I will be looking at some of his progeny before making my final decision.
I asked for opinions on the bull, not peoples thoughts on other members of the board!

Old_man_emu":1a1grr0b said:
RD-Sam":1a1grr0b said:
jscunn":1a1grr0b said:
Robert,

Ambush 28 has a good number of progeny here in Australia and has been used extensively by some of the biggest seedstock producers in the country. Some of his daughters have made it as donors in ET programs and I will be looking at some of his progeny before making my final decision.
I asked for opinions on the bull, not peoples thoughts on other members of the board!

We are just trying to help you out there buddy. If you are looking to use him for high quality beef, by all means go for it. But, if you are looking for exceptional females, I believe I would look somewhere else.

Sam your first had experience is appreciated I don't like the fact that anyone is making judgements on the results you have reported to have had.
It just pains me when I come back here looking for consructive advice and find that a great deal of the chatter is people going back and forth at each other.

Gotta respond.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 180df56ebd

The above cow just calved her 5th calf at 5 yrs. 4 mos. old.
A-28 will not work on every cow but I have a few that I'll put up against anyones. He will moderate milk, a lot. Pretty good cross here has been on Predestined. Good udders and really good growth.

Sizmic

Latest posts