Angus Bloodlines

Help Support CattleToday:

Conagher

Reaction score
In a different post a comment was made about the "right bloodlines" to have a successful registered herd. I'm curious what your opinion is on which is the "right bloodline" for a reg. Angus herd?

Thanks!

Conagher":3auwtkbt said:
In a different post a comment was made about the "right bloodlines" to have a successful registered herd. I'm curious what your opinion is on which is the "right bloodline" for a reg. Angus herd?

Thanks!

"right bloodlines" would be whatever names on the pedigree will make you the most money in the shortrun and in the long run. There are people making money selling the progeny of 3-4 frame easy keeping ANgus, top 2% EPD performance Angus, Angus which win in the show ring, and Angus which have a great deal of appeal to the people in their local area. There is probably more diversity in the Angus breed than in any other breed but Simmentals and opinions are all over the board about any particular bull. Marketing seedstock is more about the marketing than it is about the seedstock.

since you are ab angus breeder.when you buy cows .you want to go with the best an hottest bloodlines.alot of breeders go with say scotchcap.an focus on that line.or a certain cow family in your herd.scott

I think Brandonm2 is right. Different bloodlines work for different programs. If you're in the show business, you probably don't want to use EXT or 036. But, in my opinion, if you're in the performance business, you'd be missing the boat not to include their bloodlines in your program. Decide where/how you'll be selling your cattle and see what sells best in that area, then build your herd.

I disagree. Just because it is popular in MT or WY doesn't mean it should be used in SD or further east or vice versa. Also popular doesn't always mean good. I have seen alot of the popular sires out there and wouldn't even dream about using them. Alot of the popularity comes from a great picture, super EPDs or even if the ranch that produced it is more popular. It doesn't show udders, or feet, or even production records. If you are chasing something, that is what you will always be doing, chasing. Try leading. All you need to do is lead your commercial customers with great genetics, and with what they need. Not what some college or semen company tells you what should be used. If you do this you should be successfull and have happy, and repeat customers. My customers never ask for a certain bloodline, they just ask are they good again this year.

Good comments everyone. I agree with all comments to some extent.

BRG, I really like the comment "Try Leading". After giving it considerable thought over the last few months I have decided the focus on genetics for my particular herd goals is the way to go; somewhat independent, but not necessarily mutal exclusive of particular bloodlines.

Conagher":2wetcqi8 said:
Good comments everyone. I agree with all comments to some extent.

BRG, I really like the comment "Try Leading". After giving it considerable thought over the last few months I have decided the focus on genetics for my particular herd goals is the way to go; somewhat independent, but not necessarily mutal exclusive of particular bloodlines.
Conagher - All of these posts have great merit! Your assessment and decision to focus on genetics in line with your goals leaves you with leaway to modify your direction as you deem necessary in the future. Good luck!

DOC HARRIS

Frankie, you thought that show bloodlines wouldn't want to include EXT or 036......Leachman Saugahatchee 3000C, EXT son, has been the #1 producing show sire for the past 5+ years. If you doubt, check out ChampionHill Angus for the stats. I came upon this info during sire research. JMD :cboy:

DOC - my thoughts exactly! With a focus on genetics I can readily plot and monitor my path with course correction as necessary. A focus on bloodlines, as BRG suggests, would lead to a more copy-cat senerio which may or may not be beneficial depending on if and when the bloodline falls out of favor with either the commercial customer or the breeder. However, that is not meant to discount the favorable genetics some bloodlines have contributed.

Thanks!

I think you are both overanalyzing the point certain bloodlines do give you certain traits for example:
EXT- moderate frame , udder improvement, SOME temperament problems.
6807- moderate frame
Connection - disposition improver
6I6 - same.

While this is not the case with all of EXT progeny, knowing what other people are using may help tell you what type of cattle "phenotypically" that they have. If all of Frankie's cows are out of Pine Drive Big Sky I can assume(yes I know what assuming means) That she does not value moderate framed cattle.
Knowing what pedigrees of cattle someone helps you understand that persons market and if they live near you that is your market as well.
I am not saying by a sorry old EXT cow because she is an EXT. I am saying that your neighbor "competitor" is using moderate cows bred to "carcass" (Insert hot trend here) and is successful then you need to align yourself in that direction by purchasing/breeding to pedigrees like that. IF (big if) they are phenotypically correct and have the right convienence traits (Feet, legs, disposition, udder, etc.)

I know this is not clear let me summarize. Pedigrees are a tool. like EPDs but the most important factor for purchasing/breeding to a bull/cow is visual evaluation.

If you are buying cows take time to look at the pedigree. Or better yet look at her progeny. How has she done. USe proven bulls and not up and coming. If they are up and coming let them come.(funny it will take some to prove them) :oops: I have mostly 6I6, EXT, Rito 707 daughters. One 1I2 and one 1I1.(6I6 sons) have some Hoff Genetics. Use an 036 son and AI to 1407, Future Direction, Rito 1I5. Go to AAA and look at some catalogs. Study the bulls and cows. Be a true student to the breed. Read the threads about registered cattle. I have 4 heifers this year that are registered now. If they don't turn around in a hurry they will be shipped. After that who knows. The onething I wish I could do is go back and make myself take my time. I have a few cows I am not proud of. If you want to do well it will take time and patience. Good luck amd feel free to PM or ask anymore questions. I like to talk Angus.

Scotty

Conagher,

I would look at Angus bulls that have what you want and then AI some of your cows to them and see what the results are. The only real way to find out what will work for you is to experiment a little. Everyone has something or a combination of results they would like to see in their cow herd.

Bobg

Latest posts