And You Thought it was Catfish

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
I just found this article which reminded me of my Sysco rep back in 2005. He introduced me to this fish and told me it was from Vietnam, even sent me a free box to try and called it catfish. At that time Delta Pride was running around $30.00 for a 15 lb box and this stuff was $21.00 and change. I tried it and not any of my customers could tell a difference, but I could. Never ordered a box, but I know many in this area are using the heck out of it right now and most times no one knows. In the other thread it was being discussed about buying "Made in America." Well, here's another example. You might want to ask your restauranteur about their catfish next time you order a plate.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jun/16 ... -catfish16

Since I work for Sysco I will give you some info. We are NOT trained to market Pangaisius(Swai/Bosa) as catfish. We are told that it is A southeast asian catfish but are actually discouraged from presenting it as a reliable substitute for American species of catfish.

Having said that it is a very good mild tasting fish and the article fails to disclose that they are raised above nets in the ponds so that they cannot feed off the bottom. Sysco employs on site inspectors at the growing and processing facilities in order to insure that they are raised and processed in the cleanest possible fashion.

Yes, he told me about the nets and also said the "catfish" were fingerlings sent over from the US. Said they were grown in their ponds, then processed and returned here. Sounded like a boat load then and now I'm finding out that it really was. :lol2: US foods and PFG pretty much represents the same thing, only they never told me the fingerlings started out in the US, just that it was catfish grown in Vietnam.

I'll agree, it's not a bad flavor at all and I know Sysco is a first rate food vendor with high standards. I do know many restaurants in this area that use it on their catfish buffets and folks don't know the difference. Me? I still buy Delta Pride.

slick4591":qyfq7piz said:
Yes, he told me about the nets and also said the "catfish" were fingerlings sent over from the US. Said they were grown in their ponds, then processed and returned here. Sounded like a boat load then and now I'm finding out that it really was. :lol2: US foods and PFG pretty much represents the same thing, only they never told me the fingerlings started out in the US, just that it was catfish grown in Vietnam.

I'll agree, it's not a bad flavor at all and I know Sysco is a first rate food vendor with high standards. I do know many restaurants in this area that use it on their catfish buffets and folks don't know the difference. Me? I still buy Delta Pride.

Iw ould use Delta pride also if I was going to serve catfish.

as far as the fingerling thing goes that's pure D :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: