And Finally....!!

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Ta da!! Arrived back from work this afternoon to finally see this!!
IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

A lovely bay (to go grey) filly- and a big one at that!!

Baby colts and fillies amaze me...those long, spindly legs.

We have a neighbor that raises Morabs, and I love it when I notice a new baby. And when they sleep, WOW, it looks like they are dead...legs stretched out in front, and still has a post.

She is a pretty thing...congratulations!

Alice

HUGE for a pony!! And her mother i being quite tolerant of all the humans around her... sweet!

That's wonderful news, congratulations to mom and grandma (you). I know you've been waiting on this a while...wanted to ask but didn't know if perhaps something had gone wrong and you were upset. Looks like a healthy, strong filly. Very happy for you!

They're Connemara Ponies...Aussie website with more links is http://www.cpbsa.com.au/.

Baby is by Ben Dhui Diccon (Connemara Park Richard x Blandings Sylvia) out of Exmoor Jamaica (Glenormiston Jasper x Blandings Barbados (my old mare)).

Very happy with baby- she's quite strong for her age, and quite big. I have a feeling she's going to be bigger than mum... we'll see. Father is more of a horsey type, not one I would have chosen but mare was bought in foal. Only thing I'm disappointed about is that she will turn grey :( But I expected that!!

Why are you so sure that she will gray out? Where did she come up with two gray genes? If she's only carrying one then it's only a 50-50 chance. They have to carry two gray genes to be 100% positive to turn gray. Maybe you'll get lucky.

I have a friend that raises Section A Welshes. I am not going to show her these pictures. She'd be on the next plane to Austrailia.

http://www.lazyfponies.com/

Oh and ah (smirk) the blue roan colt out of the TB mare is by our blue roan stud. He string tested out at 17 hands.Z

I'm sure she will turn grey... an abundance of grey hairs around the eyes and muzzle, up the lges and some white hairs at the head of the tail.

The foal's father is grey, by a grey and out of a grey. Mum is by a grey out of a bay, who was by a grey out of a grey. A multitude of grey genes in this breed, bay is not a common colour, hence the reason I treasure my mare (and her mother before her) so much. The Irish don't like bays, over there grey is the accepted Connie colour.

Yep... She's going to gray out. :frowns: I've got several gray mares but they are only carrying 1 gene and the roan over rides it. None of our colts have ever gone gray. Believe me. We give thanks daily. I've never had a gray that didn't develop Green Spot disease the morning of a show.Z

Yes, grey isn't my favourite colour.... but she's a girl, so that makes up for it!

She's a nice pony. Where I'm at greys don't do well because there so much fungus in the sand. I've owned two and keeping the coat healthy was a lot of work. In fact I can't think of anyone around who owns a grey pony.

Congratulations, Killala! Do you have a stallion picked out to breed your mare to for next year? My Connemara had a bay colt by Fairyhill Hawk in July. She is now in foal to a Hanoverian. MillIronQh, a horse with only one grey gene will go grey, grey is dominant. But, if you breed a grey horse that has only one grey gene, it can throw the grey or the normal non-grey gene, so the foal may or may not go grey. If the mare or stallion is homozygous for grey it will always throw the grey gene and every foal will go grey. There is no genetic test for grey like there is for black, red, bay and cream.

Congrats on her Carla. I've always had a thing for Connies, gorgeous animals they are. And filly's are always great to get, trust me I know! She does look like a big filly, expecially since as you said she's a pony!

I'll add to the congrats also, I know it's hard waiting for a foal. Is the mare wearing a fly mask? I assume it is, if so is it real effective?

Alan

cowpunk'd":1k75eo0c said:
Congratulations, Killala! Do you have a stallion picked out to breed your mare to for next year? My Connemara had a bay colt by Fairyhill Hawk in July. She is now in foal to a Hanoverian. MillIronQh, a horse with only one grey gene will go grey, grey is dominant. But, if you breed a grey horse that has only one grey gene, it can throw the grey or the normal non-grey gene, so the foal may or may not go grey. If the mare or stallion is homozygous for grey it will always throw the grey gene and every foal will go grey. There is no genetic test for grey like there is for black, red, bay and cream.

I have a friend that is an equine geneticist with thirty years in the field that could and would argue this with you. I can't and won't. I am just going on what she told me when we bought the gray mares. She also said that most of the time the roan gene from our studs would over ride the gray gene. So far she has been 100% on the money. Four colts from each mare and nothing has gone gray yet.Z

MillIronQH, may I suggest you have misunderstood the information given by your friend? I am not an equine geneticist but according to UCDavis (and any other source you check with) grey is dominant. Out of curiousity, did you happen to buy the grey mares from your geneticist friend?

cowpunk'd":k2y7m5xt said:
MillIronQH, may I suggest you have misunderstood the information given by your friend? I am not an equine geneticist but according to UCDavis (and any other source you check with) grey is dominant. Out of curiousity, did you happen to buy the grey mares from your geneticist friend?

No I didn't buy them from my friend. They were part of a package deal. Our broodmare band is based on the Binion Ranch horses out of Nevada. When the herd was sold off (over 300 mares) we got thirty of them. The package (seven mares) the grays were in came available about 5 years ago. The man who had bought them from Binion's estate was getting a divorce and saleing out.

Like I said, I won't argue genetics with you. I'll leave that to the professionals. What I know is that since 2003 there are 12 roan horses out there out of the three mares.Z

Alan":v1xt9uye said:
I'll add to the congrats also, I know it's hard waiting for a foal. Is the mare wearing a fly mask? I assume it is, if so is it real effective?

Alan

Thanks Alan. Yes, she's wearing a fly veil.. her eyes were getting terribly swollen beforehand. This one works quite well, especially once the horse works out that shaking their head with it is a good idea!! She certainly feels, an looks, better for having the veil on. I don't like the masks... too easy for flies to get in, and then they buzz around inside annoying the horse.

Bek":2mda7x8h said:
Congrats on her Carla. I've always had a thing for Connies, gorgeous animals they are. And filly's are always great to get, trust me I know! She does look like a big filly, expecially since as you said she's a pony!

Thanks Bek... I'm thrilled! I was convinced I'd get a colt, after getting a heifer out of my cow. What a great season! this one's going to be a big girl I think... still trying to think of a name.

names----names----gotta be something dot com..or com dot..why not!

Latest posts