Anaplasmosis

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky_P":3cfl2vo6 said:
Only one Anaplasmosis vaccine currently available, and licensed, provisionally, on a state-by-state basis - available through your veterinarian from University Products, LLC (disclaimer - I do not own shares, nor benefit financially from, any vaccine sold - I'm just recommending it 'cause it works.)
It's an inactivated A.marginale product; initial two-dose series, with yearly booster. Prevents clinical disease but does not prevent infection. Vaccinated animals will test seropositive regardless of infection status. Vaccinates that become infected can still serve as a source of infection, even though they themselves will not become clinically ill.

Thanks. Will call Darin see how to get it. You may know Roy Canada at Morehead. He tests every cow leaving his property. Maybe overreacting by some people's standards but he takes it very serious.

talltimber,
If I were having clinical cases, I'd treat them with long-acting oxytet and start feeding everything else CTC, while I was getting the vaccines on board.

In the past, veterinarians have often recommended treating the entire herd with LA-200(300,Tetradure, etc.) but that's no longer regarded as a proper approach to control - if there are animals that are early in the incubation phase of the disease, the OTC just slows the organism down, and as soon as the drugs are gone, it picks right back up where it left off, and the animal will develop clinical disease in 3-6 weeks or so. Saw a herd one time that prolonged the duration of the outbreak from August into December by coming back and treating the whole herd every time one 'broke'.

The cELISA test that we now have will pick up animals that are at least 3 weeks post-infection - not yet with enough organisms to see them on a stained blood smear. It will also pick up those persistently-infected carriers... which were either infected in utero, as calves (calves will not develop clinical disease), or as adults that survived clinical disease... as well as vaccinates, whether they're infected or not.

Latest posts