An idea

Help Support CattleToday:

Arrmstrong01

Reaction score
Hello folks new here I used the search but couldn't find an answer well i did but didn't.
Ok I have a small mixed herd hereford Angus few bwf, I live in N.Y. keep that in mind I want to take and breed my cows to a brahma. Keep the heifers then turn around and breed those heifers to a charlaios. I like cows with ear but you don't see any come threw the sale barn. Real question is will the charlaois calves lose there ear and navel and if anyone's done this cross or has pictures or any insight I'm all ears.
Im 25 Use to have 40 head my grandfather died sold the farm now I'm starting over with my father.

Lots of people breed brangus cattle (Brahma / Angus) and cross those calves with Charolais. Pretty similar to what you're talking about.

If you don't see any ear in your sale barn, you may need to find private treaty sales options in order to get prices that reflect what you're trying to do...otherwise, if you're only going to market to the sale barn folks, you may be disappointed with your prices.

Good luck.

Arrmstrong01":v7wnpk7m said:
I have a small mixed herd hereford Angus few bwf, I live in N.Y. keep that in mind
I want to take and breed my cows to a brahma.
I'm 25 Use to have 40 head my grandfather died sold the farm now I'm starting over with my father.
Don't do it.
I inadvertently overlooked that you were you brand new here...so let me be the first to...
:welcome: you to the boards

This was my first post but something must have went wrong I've been learning quite a bit in my other post thanks son of butch glad to be getting all this information.

By the way Caustic Bruno is the man you want to listen to when it comes to Brahmans.
He's got a lot of common sense and will steer you in the right direction and while I :heart: to needle him and
give him grief about Brahman beef quality, I totally respect his experience and opinions.
But keep in mind, what works in Texas ain't gonna fly in New York.

I'm coming to realize that lol That's why it was just an idea. Get the answeres from the people with the experience instead of trial and error on my end

...unless you've got a specialty market lined up.

If selling conventionally, raise conventional castle. If you can market your product, you can (generally) raise what you want.

Good luck.

Latest posts