American Stockman loose mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

Santas and Duhram Reds

Reaction score
I usually use Kent loose mineral but this last time I bought American Stockman because it was cheaper (first time I have used it). I don't think the cows like it as much. Anyone else have any problems with their cows eating this stuff? Is it cheap for a reason?

Typically minerals are cheap for a reason. They likely cut corners somewhere in the formula in order to lessen the cost to produce it and in turn sell it for cheaper than a good mineral. What I usually see is the ingredients going in are something less bioavailable than the better minerals. Look at the tags between the two minerals you have used and look for differences in ingredients.

in my opinion people feed way too much mineral. most minerals should come from your forage. if you have a variety of grasses & legumes , they should not lack much. they mix salt with the minerals so cows will eat more mineral than they need. you can get your hay tested to see if you lack any minerals. never fed much mineral til i came out here & had all fescue to start with. now i have better grass with legumes & feed mostly salt with a little mineral mixed in now & again or use trace minerals now & again. you can look up minerals needed for missouri on the net also. mineral co. want you to use more to line their pockets. they used to claim if you put minerals out separately cows would pick out what they needed. but have disproved this

jerry27150":22j3hp86 said:
in my opinion people feed way too much mineral. most minerals should come from your forage.
Since this an opinion you are certainly titled to it. However, I will strongly disagree that people feed way too much mineral. In fact I would argue that many times people underfeed minerals in order to save money. It is well known that cows on a good mineral program are in better shape and more productive than cows not fed minerals or least on a good ration. There are those who argue they never feed mineral and have no problems, but you will have a tough time seeing the small losses here and there. It is my opinion that if you buy a good mineral and keep it out for the cows you will be dollars ahead.

jerry27150":31y9unn3 said:
in my opinion people feed way too much mineral. most minerals should come from your forage. if you have a variety of grasses & legumes , they should not lack much. they mix salt with the minerals so cows will eat more mineral than they need. you can get your hay tested to see if you lack any minerals. never fed much mineral til i came out here & had all fescue to start with. now i have better grass with legumes & feed mostly salt with a little mineral mixed in now & again or use trace minerals now & again. you can look up minerals needed for missouri on the net also. mineral co. want you to use more to line their pockets. they used to claim if you put minerals out separately cows would pick out what they needed. but have disproved this

Forget about "mixing a little mineral in" as well as "trace minerals" usually in blocks. If you don't allow them to get what they need I wouldn't waste my money on "a little bit".

jerry27150":3lwg7492 said:
If the ground does not have the mineral then the forage does not have the mineral. You are blessed to have dirt that contains everything needed. I am not. I lack phosphorous and copper. Both effect fertility.
If I cut out mineral I also cut my calf crop. I would assume this may go for others elsewhere.