American Hoggers

Help Support CattleToday:

JSCATTLE":3dtjrbos said:
There is a place in winnie Texas you can shoot them out of a heli copter . I counted 35 yesterday while cutting hay . The old man I was cutting for feeds them and doesn't allow anyone to shoot them .

What? Why?
I shoot everyone I see.
I don't have many left we trapped them hard along with other control methods.

He owns 3000 acres of woods and loves hog hunting . He has a pen full of hog dogs he trains and sells . I counted 42 this evening as I was dropping my bailer off .

JSCATTLE":1pcqz94h said:
He owns 3000 acres of woods and loves hog hunting . He has a pen full of hog dogs he trains and sells . I counted 42 this evening as I was dropping my bailer off .

How long before those 42 turn into 84?

Katherine

JSCATTLE":mxpfmmir said:

That doesnt mean any thing. I know people who shoot, trap, fly, and dog all the hogs they can and you will still see a pack of thirty cross. Hogs travel 10-15 miles if need be. All it takes is one vacant property for sanctuary and they will keep every one in full supply.

Bigfoot":2tp1epvk said:
Having never been around it, it was interesting. I especially wondered why take the animal alive. I see now its all for ratings. In one episode both the boy and the girl had many failed attempts at shooting one. That should have cued me in.

I can't speak for other parts of the country but here they are taken alive to sell them either for someone to raise and feed out or to be sold to a plantation for a pay hunt. The pay hunts are lucrative. A friend of mine does this on a 200 acre farm. He has constructed a winding set of trails through the woods and across creeks and all sorts of neat obstacles to provide a thrill in the jeep as they "hunt" for hogs. When he gets to a certain point he keys his mike and his partner releases a pig from a cage about the same time as he starts whispering to his client that they have seen pigs in the area then BAM there it is - shoot - collect $200 and do it again that afternoon.

Remember Hogzilla? That was another friend's pet. Big son of a beech granted but still a pet. Got big on the truck load of peanut butter I got to feed the cows but learned the hard way that ain't good feed for a cow.

That doesnt mean any thing. I know people who shoot, trap, fly, and dog all the hogs they can and you will still see a pack of thirty cross. Hogs travel 10-15 miles if need be. All it takes is one vacant property for sanctuary and they will keep every one in full supply.[/quote]

I agree, we shoot every one we can but the Nature Conservancy and the Department of Conservation both own land here also and dont allow any hunting. A wonderful place for them to hide and reproduce and then venture out into the farmland of the night.

That's one of the problems here in my county too Kenny. A National Forest makes up a good part of it, and tho they do allow hunting on a lot of it, it's still a dang big chunk of real estate for them the hide in. Being on a river bottom, it provides them a natural and thicketed pathway to wander all over the place and rarely be seen.

About the same way here you walk out my front door turn right or left and it is sixty miles of pine plantation, go straight or out the back door 30 miles of pine. You will never get rid of the hog's until they are bothering the government.
I think we should send about 20 for the White House lawn with two five gallon bucket's of fire ant's as a present.
I bet if they had to deal with them for a little while we would get back some of our chemical's that work.
All you can do with the hog's is to put enough pressure on them they avoid your place. They are like the plauge.

cow pollinater":1r6esdl1 said:
TexasBred":1r6esdl1 said:
I figure when one does a complete flip and lays there and never moves a muscle you can count his ass dead. .
:nod: The only time they quit moving is when they are just flat out DEAD. I've put solid hits with .357 and .00 out of a twelve gauge that din't drop them for awhile. They are TOUGH.
Oh they definitely are tought. BIL emptied a 44 magnum on one, knocking him down everytime..he still drug off a ways before hefinally died.

kenny thomas":1ug1d2t1 said:
I agree, we shoot every one we can but the Nature Conservancy and the Department of Conservation both own land here also and dont allow any hunting. A wonderful place for them to hide and reproduce and then venture out into the farmland of the night.

Oh good grief Kenny! You're just a couple few hours SW of me, I wonder how long it will be before those wretched hogs make it up to my part of the state. I don't want to think about it. But then again----with some of the delinquents around here, maybe they won't stand a chance.

Caustic, I think you should send to Wash.DC a bucket of fire ants along with a bunch of horses and some stink bugs as well as those hogs.

I'm told fire ants have made it to the northern part of NC-----how much longer before they're here in Va.?

Katherine

Even the hogs and fire ants can't stand dc. Some how the leaches and roaches have survived though