Alpha 7

Help Support CattleToday:

kentuckyguy

Reaction score
I am looking at starting to vaccinate for black leg this year for the first time. Never heard of it in my area but I would rather be safe than sorry.
I have a few questions concerning alpha 7.

Am I understanding right that it's a single dose vaccine with a annual booster?

And I see it recommended to give it in the ear. Is this correct? If so any recommendations on this procedure?

Thanks

I just seen that on the vendors website it said to give 2ml subcut in the ear.

Thanks for the help

Thanks. I read something else recently about in the ear with another product but that is first time for this. It is much easier in the neck area.

You can give SQ injections in the ear. It is Not common practice to administer most vaccines SQ in the ear. However, there are some antibiotics that instruct you to administer only SQ in the ear. Example is Excede. I used it once to clear up a uterine infection in a cow. I used a YouTube video for instructions. Here is a brief excerpt from their instructions:

For subcutaneous injection in the posterior aspect of the ear where it attaches to the head (base of the ear) in lactating dairy cattle. For subcutaneous injection in the middle third of the posterior aspect of the ear or in the posterior aspect of the ear where it attaches to the head (base of the ear) in beef and non-lactating dairy cattle.

Cost. A single dose of Ultrabac will likely provide protection similar to that of Alpha 7, and the Ultrabac will cost half as much. Except in newborns, then you should use Alpha.

Latest posts