Alpacas

Help Support CattleToday:

See, you have to market towards the day-trippers and lazy yet idealistic people! You know--"pack your jacket and your lunch" it makes you look like such a nature lover! Brother in law has adopted some stray emus. His neighbors used to raise some--but not THESE! Nobody knows where they came from! They actually have the same problem with potbellied pigs. It is such a shame that people do what they do with fad animals.

Many years ago the big deal was frog farming, then it was hamsters for research, nutria, guiene(sp) pigs then it seems like frogs made a comeback. Then came the expensive fads, emus, ostrich, llamas, alpacas, buffalo, deer farms, wonder what will be next

dun

A little like the Dalmatian craze when the 101 Dalmatian movie came out. People thought they'd make great pets.Many are born deaf, and are not the best dogs for kids.

Crowderfarms":uesztwk5 said:
Dun, Don't forget the worm fad. Earthworm casings, fish bait, etc.

Yup, forgot them, even though one place we bought was an out of business worm farm. Every building is full of cardboard boxes full of worm casings. Dumped it in a low spot and grew cherry tomatoes the size of cantalopes

dun

I thought about starting a cricket ranch...Was afraid I couln't find lariats and squeeze chutes and branding irons. The wife would have complained about the chirping anyway. Kind of like that commercial on TV where the cowboys are branding the Shrimp.We have a friend that got burned big time in the worm business. Hard to believe they fell for it.The casings are great fertilizer, but what a scam.Maybe medical leeches, they say that's hot now.

I knew one couple in the desert that made really good money on frogs. They grew them inside big buildings with A/c and heating. Some medical lab in LA (CA) bought them. One week-end in July they left for a day and we had a valley wide power outage for a the day. You could smell that place for 10 miles around after that. a couple hundred thousand frogs from tadpole up to harvesting size sure do stink when the start to rot.
Back in the 20's my dad started a frog farm to sell the legs to restaurants. Dug a pond and stocked it with frogs. About the time they should have been big enough to market, one of my uncles had the whole clan over for a frog leg dinner. Yup, dad didn;t have a frog left. Became a quite a family joke, years later............

dun

What happened to bungie jumping? Haven't heard much about it lately

dun

Dun - these people were growing frogs for research? What do researchers do with frogs and how do they need so many of them? I have never heard of anyone raising frogs before, interesting.

It had to do with some kind of deal with their pancreas or some other internal organ. Don;t recall exactly what the deal was, but I'm sure that market is down to toilet just like the llamas, emus, etc... since it was 20 some odd years ago.

dun

sidney411":kdztlrob said:
Dun - these people were growing frogs for research? What do researchers do with frogs and how do they need so many of them? I have never heard of anyone raising frogs before, interesting.

Frogs found in virtually every high school & college biology Lab in the country. Experimental psychology class students us them to study reflexes, etc., by inserting electrodes in their body, etc.

My place has a slough area out in the trees where there are just thousands of frogs. I'd think about getting into them for the US market but knowing my luck, I'd just get a bunch of money invested into it and then R-FROG would close the border. :lol:

Cattle Rack Rancher":28eqs93c said:
My place has a slough area out in the trees where there are just thousands of frogs. I'd think about getting into them for the US market but knowing my luck, I'd just get a bunch of money invested into it and then R-FROG would close the border. :lol:

Just eat em. Delicious. Just don;t let PETA know or they'll be sending frogs in wheel chairs up there to protest.

dun

sidney411":lq3h11vg said:
Yuch! I really don't like frogs.

Sorry you don't have a taste for them, theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey're GrEEEEEEEEEEAT!!!!

How bout it, Arkies??? CatFish Cove--buffet..........mmmmmmmmmm Their's are really hoppin!!!!

I have never brough myself to try them but my husband broke half of his tooth off on one!!!! About $800 later he has a fake tooth and I won't ever attempt to try them! Too expensive! :D

When we first bought our property we had two people we knew offer to "give us" Llamas, they run the coyotes and are get packers and good pets...no thanks. Last time I was at the sale barn watched 4 go through at 12 dollars each, a long way from what they went for 10 years ago.

My Grandpa got into the Nutera (sp) market back in the early 60's, paid $1500 for a breeding pair ... shot all of them in the mid 60's.

Had a grand aunt with a garage full of Chincilla's (sp) nice for a youg boy to look at, don't know what happened to them.

Gimmicks come and go.

Alan