Aloha

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hello. My name is Keanu Kapanaki. After visiting this forum several times I have decided to register. To give you a background, we are located on The Big Island, Hawaii. My wife, Suki, grows tropical plants that she exports to the mainland. These are mostly Orchids, Poinsettias and Hibiscus. My son, Makaio, and I run about 200 Brangus and Brangus crossed cattle on our ranch. The gods have blessed us. I look forward to more discussion on this board.

Welcome to the board Keanu. I was on the Big island once. I would do anything to get out of winter. wanna trade?

Welcome to the boards Keanu,,,great to have you posting up. Sounds like you got some real good stuff going on,,way to go! Looking forward to hearing more about how things are going for you!

Aloha Keanu and welcome....
I've flown over the Big Island on my way to Oahu several times, If the BI is anything like Oahu I'm sure it is it's beautiful and truly paradise.... Not to change the subject from cattle but are you and your wife battling the Coqui's?

Welcome to the boards, love to hear from new folks with different types of operations... but was wondering, would you be looking for extra help say between the months of November through March? ;-) :cboy:

Medic24":3lr39hua said:
Welcome to the boards, love to hear from new folks with different types of operations... but was wondering, would you be looking for extra help say between the months of November through March? ;-) :cboy:

We are always needing help with our flower operation, and sometimes with the cattle. Right now I have three people employed with our horticulture operation and I have two men that help run the cattle. When we work the calves in the spring we do need the help of others and hire day labor paniolos to come out and help.

Welcome aboard. How are your neighbors on the Parker Ranch? That is a big outfit. BTW what are realestate costs in Hawaii? Seems like it would be expensive grazing.

ollie":slqmv16k said:
Welcome aboard. How are your neighbors on the Parker Ranch? That is a big outfit. BTW what are realestate costs in Hawaii? Seems like it would be expensive grazing.

Parker Ranch is made up of approximately 175,000 acres, much of which is
rich grazing land. The cattle range from foothills to valleys in the areas
of Humuula, Waiemi, Waikii, Makahalau, Paauhau, Keamuku and Kohala. There
are 850 miles of fence, over 300 paddocks, and 30 corrals. The water system
consists of 175 miles of pipeline, 9 reservoirs, 145 water tanks, 40 ground
tanks, three water dams, and 650 water troughs.The Ranch has approximately 30,000 to 35,000 head of cattle, 20,000 to 25,000 of which are pastured on the Ranch, at any given time, made up of Angus and Charolais breeds. Of this number, 17,000 to 18,000 are breeding
cows and heifers. The breeding bulls total approximately 500.

The Big Kahuna":2q0cf8bj said:
ollie":2q0cf8bj said:

Parker Ranch is made up of approximately 175,000 acres, much of which is
rich grazing land. The cattle range from foothills to valleys in the areas
of Humuula, Waiemi, Waikii, Makahalau, Paauhau, Keamuku and Kohala. There
are 850 miles of fence, over 300 paddocks, and 30 corrals. The water system
consists of 175 miles of pipeline, 9 reservoirs, 145 water tanks, 40 ground
tanks, three water dams, and 650 water troughs.The Ranch has approximately 30,000 to 35,000 head of cattle, 20,000 to 25,000 of which are pastured on the Ranch, at any given time, made up of Angus and Charolais breeds. Of this number, 17,000 to 18,000 are breeding
cows and heifers. The breeding bulls total approximately 500.

Jee wiz I thought my 12 acres was hard to manage.

Welcome. I'd do the finger thing, but you can't see it! :D

greetings Big Kahuna. i have always wanted to go to hawaii and attempt to "hang ten". you can call me jealous.

I Love Beefies,
I have just read the post on here which is discussing the gigging of frogs. I have gotten some interesting ideas. They are far worse than any alarm clock and so shrill and sudden. We have not been able to see that many of them so far but can hear them all around. Ollie, it is feared the Coquis will drive the real estate prices down here. You are correct about it being expensive. We pay our respects to the gods each day.Joe I cannot get the link you posted to work.

May I ask what coquis are? would they be the same thing as they have in Australia? Little varmint buggers?

Yeah sounds like i need to pack our stuff and hop a plane to the big Isle to work at the Parker ranch! ;-) :cboy:

Latest posts