Allflex A Tags

Help Support CattleToday:

It would help if you showed a picture of what is confusing about them

I've used smiilarones. The prong thing on the back is straightened out to slip over the pin on the tagger through the front of the tag. They weren;t mine and it seemd like the guy compalined baout them not lasting very long.

It's a z tag. There should be a small hole on the ear pierce part at the top where the pin on the tagger goes...insert in ear. It's easy and stays in well

You do not have to straighten it out anymore...

kenny thomas":397pgoib said:
What Dun and TexasBred said is what I say also. Have only lost 1 z-tag in the last year. The two piece I would always loose at least 5.

KT I only had one that had a problem....400 lb. heifer apparently hung the tag on something...ripped her ear all the way to the end of it and lost the tag...never happened before or since.

kenny thomas":2j9xvd9z said:
What Dun and TexasBred said is what I say also. Have only lost 1 z-tag in the last year. The two piece I would always loose at least 5.

i agree also we use z tags all the time. never had a problem with them

Does look like a Z tag to me also. I use the Z tags and they have worked good. Only have 1 heifer that has lost 2 of hers. Now I know her by being the one with the hole in her ear.

Thanks everyone for the replies, saw the CAA is offering them and wondered if it was worth buying a new gun, if it has better retention it just may be worth it, appreciate the comments.:)

dun":2esrnsh7 said:
Speaking of Z tags, did anyone recv their free ones yet this year?

Dun, I got mine about a week ago. I chose blank tags. They sent the tags, marker and application gun.

Cowdirt":1saqu3d2 said:
dun":1saqu3d2 said:
Speaking of Z tags, did anyone recv their free ones yet this year?

Dun, I got mine about a week ago. I chose blank tags. They sent the tags, marker and application gun.
Thanks, that's the option I chose also

Got mine over a week ago. Got the brand put on them and got a marker and tagger too!!

DSC06922.jpg

Had a little trouble getting a fax to go through, but under control now. I received blank long-neck calf tags last year with the farm name imprinted on the bottom front. Requested cow tags this year with the same imprint on the front and added SEX:, BW:, and BD: down the left side of the back. The early plan is to retain 5-10 heifers from this year's crop and will put the new tags to good use!

Thanks to everyone who submitted their testimonial this past winter! Many of you have already received your free tags, however we still have a few left to process. Feel free to contact me directly ([email protected]) if you have any questions or don't receive your tags within the next 2 weeks.

OK, sorry to hijack the thread there!

What the OP asked was if anyone has seen/used the new "A" tag. The new A tag is from another company that many of you may or may not know. It's basically a knock-off of the original Z Tag that's been proven in the market for over 20 years. And, while it make look similar, there are a few differences:

First off, all Z Tags 1pc tags are made in Fort Collins, CO and proudly display the US flag on the packaging. The "A" tag is made somewhere in China.
Second, even though some of us consider Z Tags to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, the tag is only half of the equation. The applicator is truly what makes a Z Tag work as well as it does. Have you noticed how many tag applicators these days have a flip-out style pin? Well, we were the first to introduce that feature back in 1990. We're flattered that others have recently followed suit! But that's not all there is to perfecting the application system. A lot of engineering went into the design of the Z Tags applicator, so much in fact, both it and the tags are patented here in the US and around the world.
Third, if you look closely at the tip of a Z Tag, you'll notice the sharp point and its distinctive four edges. These four edges allow the tip to make an incision while penetrating the ear. This leaves four small flaps of tissue that heal up quite nicely. On the other hand, all other brands of tags use a tip that's about as sharp as an ink pen. It's only the sheer leverage of the applicator that allows it to rip through the animals ear creating a puncture wound that leaves a very jagged edge which does not heal quickly and, may actually promote infections. Once these other brands of tags are in the ear, they continue to aggravate the torn tissue as the animal moves and tend to waller out the hole until it is big enough for the tag to pull through.

So there's the official "Z Tags marketing guy" response. Here's our YouTube page where you can listen to producers just like you talk about why they like using Z Tags: http://www.youtube.com/ztagsco

Latest posts