• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Alley way

jconner0705

Reaction score
I'm building a new alley way and I am doing a slanted alley what do my dimensions need to be? I have already built my tub and everything now working on my alley I really like the slanted alleys i have worked with but can not remember the dimensions for them. TIA

greybeard

Reaction score
I always thought I'd want a sloped alleyway/working chute till I saw a bred cow go don in one that was all welded up permanent. They were working a big bunch of yearlings and a heavy bred got in the mix somehow. The cow slipped down, and every time she exhaled, she slipped further down in the V and suffocated before they could get a FEL up there and lift her up.
Vet was already there so did a C section but too late for the calf too.

Don't know if this will help you or not:

http://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/mp ... pter11.pdf

jconner0705

Reaction score
Thanks greybeard, I worked for a guy that had one he had where every section had a gate on one side so if that happened they could swing it open and get em out. I worked at one and the same situation happen and lost a real good bred because of it. I had already thought about putting gates on one side so that wouldn't happen just didn't know my dimensions. The article did help thanks.

Supa Dexta

Reaction score
28" here, lined with belting. I dont run anything thru it less than 3 or 400lbs. The odd one may turn, but no big deal to me. Big fat cows will squeeze thru it no problem.

Latest posts