Allergies anyone?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I am not entirely sure what I did to deserve this, but I have been laid low with allergies to, well, I am not sure. Cedar? It seems to me it's too early for pollen. I don't normally begin to suffer the seasonal allergies till March or April.

Those of you who have heard or thought they could imagine my North Texas Nasal Twang will be pleased to know that I have been rendered completely speechless. No voice. Nada. I stayed home today from work, since teaching requires talking and I can't talk at all. That and I feel like death.

My husband isn't even here to appreciate it.

Lammie":uuph54zn said:
I am not entirely sure what I did to deserve this, but I have been laid low with allergies to, well, I am not sure. Cedar? It seems to me it's too early for pollen. I don't normally begin to suffer the seasonal allergies till March or April.

Those of you who have heard or thought they could imagine my North Texas Nasal Twang will be pleased to know that I have been rendered completely speechless. No voice. Nada. I stayed home today from work, since teaching requires talking and I can't talk at all. That and I feel like death.

Sorry to hear you're feeling poorly. You might want to see your doctor just to make sure it's not something else that might be more serious.

Fortunately, I've never had to deal with airborne allergies, but have had skin allergies pop up from time to time, sometimes pretty bad ones. Have to be careful around bees and wasps, too.

Here's a simple cure for Allergies. Get some LOCAL Honey. Not the junk off the shelf at Hel-mart, but some produced in your area. Take a tablespoon every A.M. and you'll more than likely build a resistance to Allergies from Pollen, etc.

Crowderfarms":1tz6ur62 said:
Here's a simple cure for Allergies. Get some LOCAL Honey. Not the junk off the shelf at Hel-mart, but some produced in your area. Take a tablespoon every A.M. and you'll more than likely build a resistance to Allergies from Pollen, etc.

I work with a guy who is firm on that Crowder. He goes to the farmer's market in Weatherford (local enough) and buys a gallon of raw honey periodically. He puts a tablespoon in one cup of his coffee every morning. He claims it does the trick.

~

Crowderfarms":my9bzrbo said:

Crowder is 100% correct.
Get local honey.
Have fun and put it on everything. Icecream, tea, pie, toast, cereal, peanut butter, roast chicken, turkey sandwiches, oatmeal, grits, baked beans, etc, etc.

Come to think of it, I have some local honey that my son's friend's mother gave to me. I never think about it, though, and I really am not a honey fan. I will try that though. It sure beats the heck outa this.

Not too early for the pollen, Lammie. Saw some in the cement pond this day while scooping out leaves from yesterday's high wind.

im allergic to medicated chapstick. its HORRIBLE. my lips swell up to about 4 times there normal size. when i had that happen i just sat in my room for about 4 days. until they went back to somewhat normal size anyway. i barely even let my family see me. and medication for it was the worst.

i cant think of anything else...
i got pretty lucky in the allergy department

I got two really weird ones.
All types of metal except gold. Finding the right earrings are a pain and too expensive.
Sun burns. Yes I burn easily and then I am broke out in hives. Same thing happens if I am welding and get a UV burn.

Though its a little early for the pine to throw pollen on its on, a little outside stimulus from wind or shaking of the tops will show you they are full of pollen and are gearing for their onslaught on the poor souls who are sensitive to the yellow scourge. Watched some loggers cut some trees yesterday and the woods look like they were on fire as the pollen smoked through the woods. Honey, Zicam and Echinanecea are my friends. Good luck and don't get an infection.

Better today. I am going to brave school. If the voice does not scare them, then the constant blowing of the nose will.

I was told yesterday that I was fishing for sympathy. And I want everyone to know that after careful consideration and soul searching, that is 100% correct. I was. And I am. I like it when folks feel sorry for me, and I have never been one to suffer alone. 8)

Misery loves company.

If I were truly trying to get you all to feel sorry for me, I would tell you about my hay incident. But that's for another time.

Leave it to say it was pretty athletic and it did not involve the Gulf or tequila.

So for a certain someone who suggested to me that I wanted sympathy, darn straight I do. You would too!

Off to work. Little boogers will be wondering what happened to me.

Lammie":le1o3lzc said:

I like the husband to appreciate it part, that was good.

allergic to ragweed.

I am allergic to seafood, different types of pine and other woods and worst of all anti-histamines. I used a anti-histamine medication. I swelled up so badly I couldn't breathe. Rushed to the hospital to have a tube shoved down my throat before it completely closed over. Meanwhile the poor ER doc is trying to figure out what to do with me because in cases of allergic reactions they use anti-histamines. It is extremely rare to have an allergy to them. I was pumped full of a saline solution until the anti-histamine finally worked itself out of my body.
Husband is allergic to cats and pollen. He gets really bad too Lammie so you have our sympathies. Hope you are improving a bit. We'll have to try the honey trick, got a big container of it in the cupboard from our neighbours.

I have a terrible allergic reaction to "sweat" which means I have to stay away from hard work. For some reason my wife don't believe me when I tell her this. :cry2:

Victoria":26z1jrzo said:
I am allergic to seafood

Join the club. Actually I'm only allergic to shellfish. That allergy didn't show up until I was around 10 years old. Up until then I could eat my weight in shrimp :cry: . You can add bananas to the list (not that I miss them).

As for as allergies go I've been dealt my share of misery. I finally got fed up enough to get allergy tested in my early twenties and went on a weekly regimen of shots. The result was life changing. Right up there with the lasik surgery.

john250":14t7rqoc said:
Lammie":14t7rqoc said:
If I were truly trying to get you all to feel sorry for me, I would tell you about my hay incident. But that's for another time.

Tell the story, Lammie. Enquiring minds want to know. :nod:

Well since you asked, JOHN... :oops: :cry2: I got my foot hung up in between the slats of the pallets we use to keep hay on so it does not get on the ground. I was picking up a square bale and fell on top of and over the bale. Kinda like florr exercises only not as graceful. Yes it hurt. Yes it was embarrassing. No, no one was around with a camera and NO there was no mud or poop. Thank goodness. I did find some residual hay in my hair the next morning. :mrgreen:

My voice is making a comeback. Just in time for Steve to come home tonight. :banana:

milesvb":1qfmx59l said:
Victoria":1qfmx59l said:
I am allergic to seafood

Join the club. Actually I'm only allergic to shellfish. That allergy didn't show up until I was around 10 years old. Up until then I could eat my weight in shrimp :cry: . You can add bananas to the list (not that I miss them).

As for as allergies go I've been dealt my share of misery. I finally got fed up enough to get allergy tested in my early twenties and went on a weekly regimen of shots. The result was life changing. Right up there with the lasik surgery.

I am in the shell fish allergy club also. Worst part is that here in south La., crabs, crawfish, or shrimp are almost a daily meal staple. I also was able to eat shellfish when I was younger. Mostly I get red watery eyes, but sometimes shrimp, especially boiled, will give me that suffocating feeling. Then it is time to move to fresh air for awhile. A lot of people here claim it probably has something to do with the iodine content. Who knows?