All at once?

Help Support CattleToday:

J

Reaction score
If you have a wormer that will work up to 1250lbs of horse and you are worming a horse that weighs 600-800lbs. is it better to worm for the weight of the horse and discard the rest or would it be better to give just half the tube then the other half at a later date? If later how much later?

This question might not even be worth asking but I thought I'd just get ya'lls opinions on it.

Have to disagree with last post, I worm for weight and discard the rest. Wormer can be tough on the horses system, why take the chance for a couple of bucks? It's better to worm every three months than to worm too heavy once. Rotate wormers.

JMO
Alan

Thats exactly what I did Alan, wormed him last night. I used a weight tape to confirm what I thought he weighed and gave him the appropriate amount and the rest went in the trash.

:) I just rescued a very thin, wormy saddlebred( amish buggy horse) He should weigh about 1000( over 16 hands tall) He weighs 750. I under wormed him per weight and gave the rest to the pony. The amount of worms this poor old boy passed
was horrible! :mad: I think if I had given him the whole tube , he would have impacted from the dead worms. i will wait a few weeks and then worm him again at a low dose. I am sure
he has more in him!!!! :shock:

holly heifer":3hja1z9q said:
:) I just rescued a very thin, wormy saddlebred( amish buggy horse) He should weigh about 1000( over 16 hands tall) He weighs 750. I under wormed him per weight and gave the rest to the pony. The amount of worms this poor old boy passed
was horrible! :mad: I think if I had given him the whole tube , he would have impacted from the dead worms. i will wait a few weeks and then worm him again at a low dose. I am sure
he has more in him!!!! :shock:

I think you did right, but I would wait about a month and give him a regular dose for weight and than dose him again in 3 more months with another type of wormer.

JMO,
Alan

Alan wrote

Have to disagree with last post, I worm for weight and discard the rest. Wormer can be tough on the horses system, why take the chance for a couple of bucks? It's better to worm every three months than to worm too heavy once. Rotate wormers.

Very good advice. too much WILL kill if too wormy. impaction can happen. dead horse for just a couple bucks saved.

Exactly what Alan recommended.

Especially with certain paste dewormers... Giving more than is needed creates a huge die-off and that die-off is what will make the horse ill.
Thats why there was all that fuss about QUEST!! It's more effective and kills different life stages of parasites.

However, if the paste dewormer is strongid or panacur, a larger amount is relatively harmless. In fact, double dosing panacur or strongid paste is recommended by many vets to kill tapeworms.
But I would only ever do that AFTER the horse had a regular deworming.

Saving the remainder? wipe off the end of the tube and recap. Keep in a cool place. Mini horse owners, pony owners, Arab owners, have been doing it for years. There are many other pastes that are reused... Banamine, Bute paste, Ulcergard, ProBios, Calm & Cool, etc. These are all multi-dose pastes.

I didnt know about the impaction issue, but good point. I always go with the recommended amount and throw the rest away. Make sure u rotate the wormers.

Latest posts