Alfalfa

Help Support CattleToday:

Up here we use Magnum 3801 Wet. It's got a branching tap root, and handles wet ground really well. It is a winter dormancy 4 rating, so I don't know if that works for you. Also not sure if you can get it down there, but I'm sure an enterprising person could get some shipped down there for ya.

drycreek":28ipncde said:
Is there a variety that can with stand high moisture?

Larry

Define "high moisture". That could mean a lot of things - anything from high rainfall to clay soil, swampland, or simply poorly drained fields. More information is needed, please.

Msscamp to answer your question, clay soil and creek bottom. 50 acres was cleared years ago should have been left as wetland. I'm in the process of returning 30 to wetland the remaining 20 did not qualify so was wondering if this could be planted in alfalfa. This 20 is higher ground but still clay and stays on the high moisture side. Six acres of the 20 has pecan trees but even it is high moisture. Not meaning that water is standing but always plenty of moisture.
Hope this is enough info.

Larry

It could do very well in alfalfa, if you get the right kind of alfalfa seed. Look into what Fargus said, or google alfalfa + clay soil and than talk to your local dealer. Sorry I can't be of more help, but our soil is sandy and I have no experience with what you're talking about.

Latest posts