Alberta presort calf sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Alberta farmer

Reaction score
Attended the presort calf sale in Innisfail Alberta yesterday. 600-650 steer calves were right in that $1.05 range(about 96 cents US dollars) and heifer around 575 lb. around 91 to 93 cents( US 83 to 85 cents). These were good black, red or tan calves. There were 2100 head on offer.
The sale barn owner told me he expected the number to increase in a big way now that the harvest is wrapping up in the area. He thinks the prices will hold or slightly decrease as the big glut of calves come through.

Sounds good for the buyer. I am selling and buying this weekend at our local mart. Between 1500 to 2000 head estimated. Looking to pick up a small trailer load of Hereford heifer calves for .85-.90/lb. :cowboy:

1700 went through last Monday (21st) so cattle are already increasing. My advice to anyone that is planning to sell around here is to get them in asap especially if they are in the 650-800 lb weight. We did really well on the 21st nothing under 1.08 for steers but heifers took a beating I only averaged .93 for them and they were heavys.
I wonder what BL did as usually calves get a lower price there.

Sounds like prices are already on the way down.

Aaron you should come to Alberta, you could pic up some gorgeous really young bred herefs that will sell for slaughter prices. Might even be worth it to find a buyer here for you and pay for trucking I bet you will still come out way ahead. Slaughters are going between 40 and 50 cents a pound right now, but that is going to change and drop to around 10-20 very soon.

Latest posts