AIing heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

smnherf

Reaction score
I have been AIing heifers the past few days and since it has been raining all morning I thought I would post a picture of the bull I am using on the ones that aren't highly related to him.

He has several generations of heifer bulls on both sides of his pedigree and yet he won't leave me with a pasture full of "rats and ears".

SSS_Mackintosh_023200013.JPG

SSS_Mackintosh_023200014.JPG

SSS_Mackintosh_023200012.JPG

SSS_Mackintosh_02320001.JPG

I'm not a big fan of Herfs. But I do like him. Pretty solid looking bull.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. It isn't all that often that you can find a bull that you raised that is worthy of advancing your own program.

I am already looking forward to calving season next year.

Brian

Nice bull, I sure could use one like him for my Blk Angus cows.

blk mule

How much for semen/certs? It doesn't say on the AHA web-site.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. That was supposed to be updated and put on the AHA website. I will have to look into that.

I am willing to let some semen go pretty cheap on the bull this year. I would like to get some calves on the ground in other herds so I can evaluate them. $12/straw and 30/certificate. I would sell commercial semen a lot cheaper, especially if I would be able to buy back the steers and heifers out of him so I can feed them out and evaluate feedlkot and carcass performance.

Thanks for asking. I took him back to the neighbors today so he can turn him out with his black cows in about a week or two. I kinda liked having him around to look at and show customers, but I need the pasture to sort cows into so I can AI them.

Brian

Brian,
Real nice bull. I understand what you mean about liking to have him around to look at. We send our bull, Macho, off for the winter because we don't have a decent protected area for him in our severe winters. Sure is nice to have him home. He's is kept right outside my kitchen window. LOVE looking at him!
It is rare to have a bull of such quality raised by yourself, congratulations.

Thank you Jeanne, He is going to be working in the pasture here pretty close. I drive by there several times a day so I will be keeping tabs on him. It also sounds like my neighbor will be done using him this season and he wants to sell him back this fall.

Knersie,

I don't seem to have any pictures of just his head. I took some video of him the other day that would show his head, but that is hard to post. I do have a couple different poses taken about a month ago that if you have a photo program, ie photoshop, I could send to you the photos and then you can zoom in and out on his head to see what you need to see. PM me with if that will work. If not, I might be able to sneak back over to the neighbors and snap a few more pictures in a couple days.

He is 100% pigmented in his left eye and I believe there is just a little in his right eye. Most of the steers and heifers I seen last winter were brockle faced baldies out of black cows.

Brian

Here is a picture of a front view. I know it doesn't show the left side. Apparently he only wanted me to picture his right side that day. LOL

SSS_Mackintosh_023200011.JPG

Its in reference to a topic that was discussed here a while back in which that term was used referencing calving ease bulls. The philosophy was that using too many calving ease bulls makes you dependent upon using calving ease bulls thus leaving you with a pasture full of "rats and ears" as a justification to increasing BW in our calves.

It has by no means worked that way in my operation. Lowering birth weights and increasing calving ease has actually allowed me to use a broader range in BW bulls as my cows tend to reduce birthweight when mated to heavier BW bulls. Whereas increased birthweight in order to improve performance, actually lowered the MCE and you had to be extremely carefull to what bull you mate them to for their first calf.

Do a search and you will find the topic.

Brian

Latest posts