AI ???

Help Support CattleToday:

JDI

Reaction score
I have a heifer we tried to AI twice. AI guy told me her track was like a snake. We bred he natural & she is fixing to have her 2nd. calf. My question is after calving twice naturally could her track straighten so she could be Ai'ed. Really nice cow now just want to use a smaller frame bull & HE ain't tall enough to get the job done natural.

How much smaller is the bull than the cow. If the bull is mature I'll bet my bottom dollar he'll be able to reach.

In a friends herd where he had two calving seasons and wanted to change to only have one, he didn't breed the summer calving herd so all would be bred in winter to calve in autumn. He ran the two herd together after the autumn calving herd finished calving and when his AI season started he was surprized how few cows of the original summer calving herd came on heat. He had the vet out and palpated the cows and most of them was bred. The only bull that it could possibly have been is a calf he planned on keeping as a herdsire and since the grazing was good he allowed him to continue nursing since his dam was one of the summer calvers to be converted to winter calvers.

It turned out the bullcalf bred the cows at about 9 months

The bull is 2 this week but is only a frame 5.8 bull. The heifer or cow now is a realy good moma,docile,(we showed her untill she was 18 months), & her pedigree is hard to come by. Her ONLY fault is her frame 8+ size. She never stopped growing!! I would like to use the bull on her to see if I can moderate her frame & get a couple of heifers out of her.

FWIW, the dairy had a yearling Holstein bull that succesfully bred a huge Brown Swiss cow, a week later he tried to breed another, fell over backwards landed on a prominent rock and broke his back.

dun

Dun,
Exactly why I want to AI her...this bull went to Denver in 06' & was 7th out of 13 in his class...I got a penny or 2 in him & I don't want him hurt...one reason I pulled semen on him was to AI the larger framed cows & not subject him to this problem. Also as insurance if something did happen to him.

JDI":6za5q3ze said:
Dun,
Exactly why I want to AI her...this bull went to Denver in 06' & was 7th out of 13 in his class...I got a penny or 2 in him & I don't want him hurt...one reason I pulled semen on him was to AI the larger framed cows & not subject him to this problem. Also as insurance if something did happen to him.

That's alwasy the quirk of nature. You can never tell. Too many strange things can happen. Last winter I saw a cow slip with one hind foot and go down, broken pelvis. Saw others do the splits, got right up with no problems.

dun

I was reading an srticle on the Drover's website yesterday where some collge did research on cattle with "deformed" tracts, thet ones that are usually hard to AI. The report said those cattle have a lower conception rate to AI than those that have the same problem and are bred natural service.

Seems like it could be right. I have a couple with curled cervex's that are hard to run the gun through. Seems like I am always fighting to get them bred AI, but they usually breed natural if they get missed. I think alot could be technician error, but I would think a deformed tract could be associated to lower AI conception dealing with some sort of fertility issue.

Hard to know for sure.

a frame 5.8 bull will breed a frame 8 cow without even stretching.

I would breed her naturally, one of the attributes of a good bull is to be an effective breeder, not just have good calves when he happens to get one bred.

I know its rich coming from someone who AIs just about everything, but mother nature is never wrong.

Latest posts