AI

Help Support CattleToday:

I can get two animals bred with timed AI (cidr gnrh and lute) for $100. That semen was $25 a straw

The more you do the cheaper it is. We used to get charged around $60 for one animal on observed heat. If you have a group then I think here the rate is about $12.50 an animal plus travel just for the inseminations. Extra if they have to come and sync them but you could do that yourself. The cost of semen is the one variable in the equation. I am not sure of how it is structured now as I do all my own. I was told i would have a low take and best get the experts but out of seven i did in April i only had one return and she had a cyst on her ovary. My take with the proper A.I. people sat around 70%.

Where are you located? Location is everything.
I live in Upstate NY where there are tons of dairies, so lots of AI people available.
I use a private service (not Genex, ABS, etc). They charge $7/animal whether there is 1 or 25. Super cheap.
If you are just thinking about getting into AI, do you have a nitrogen tank to store your semen? Have you decided what bulls you are going to use? Have you ordered your semen?
If you use ABS or Genex or Select Sire, you can order you semen through them and they will keep it in their tank, but then you are locked in to picking only bulls that they sell, because they won't (aren't supposed to) keep semen from a different stud.

Latest posts