AI Timing?

Help Support CattleToday:

kdhansen

Reaction score
Have a 5YO cow with an August calf on her, cow's in good shape, not fat, not thin. This year I have not caught her in "standing" heat and I have missed her twice (no rub marks on heat detectors either). I did notice the usual slight discharge day 19, 20 & 21, then nothing until I see the blood from ovulation, this time this morning day 24. She tends to jump the other cows when they are cycling, but haven't seen any reciprocate, or even seem interested. (Last year she was standing on day 26, AI'd, pregnant...sure wish they would stick to a pattern). Any suggestions? Would it be worth trying a CIDR, lute, GnRH? Timing? Did use a CIDR w/GnRH, 7 days, remove CIDR/lute, on one last year that wasn't showing any signs...she didn't show any signs with using the CIDR either, bred her, didn't take. BUT her next cycle day 23 she was in so hard she was jumping anything and everything, AI'd her that evening, she had twins this year...

I would breed her when I saw the clar mucus and again 12 hours later.

dun,
I wish I would have done that this last time. Would a shot of GnRH after the second breeding be something to consider?

UPDATE: After doing as dun and cow pollinator recommended, this cow had a "strapping" 96#, very active, bull calf early this morning, 286 days. I will get pics tomorrow. THANKS, both of you!

Latest posts