AI Tech?

Help Support CattleToday:

allenfarms":23iv1jds said:
I am wanting to become an AI tech but not sure how. Does anyone know?

Contact the bull studs and find out about any classes they're holding in your area. There is also a school, don;t recall the name and I think it's in KS that's been highly spoken of.

dun

Depending on your location CattleVisions located in Columbia MO. has several schools a year, It is a 2 day school Sat- Sun
lots of hands on or in as the case may be. Carl is as good a instructor as their is, He has taught a lot of the instructors across the midwest. give them a call toll free 866-356-4565

hope this helps L Day

Answer me this...

If you had an AI Tech in your area would you seek them or have any use for them.

Some of you may have them in your area, do you use them.

What kind of future could someone have who was AI certified.

There isn;t a lot of money in cutom AI work unless you work for one of the studs and even then most of the income is from sales and stuff, not the AI work. Many moons ago I had a custom AI service, didn;t really make much money until I also got picked up as the relief breeder for some dairys. A lot of the folks that use an outside AI tech don;t have the greatest facilitys, if any at all, only have a couple of head and aren;t real sharp at detecting heats, don;t realize that any breeding will have a percentage of failures to settle and will probasbly want to use a bull you don;t have in your tank.
It can be done, but a lot depends on how much people in your area have embraced th concept of AI and their dedication to making it work.

dun

Ya I've got some friends that are very interested in it as well as my folks. More than anything, I think it would be helpful to me and some family and friends as well as any locals that might need occasional services.

I use AI myself. The local vet in my area does the work for me. The problem with getting into this is that it would take a very long time to build a clientel large enough to support the business. I think the first thing one should do is a market survey. That is, how many people in your area could use the service. There are also other services that could be offered. Leaseing out gomer bulls, semen sales and storage, etc. And of course you will need a very good business plan.

By breeding for others it does "keep your hand in" and the more practice you get the better you will become.

dun

The school in Kansas is GRAHAM School - top in the nation.
Hubby took AI school there and at Curtiss. Bred cows around the communty. LOTS of experience!!! Bred many a cow - tied to a tree. You would run her around in circles til she was snubbed up tight. Farmer would attempt to hold her steady. Ken learned to be QUICK!!! :p
AI is something that you need lots of practice, so if you want to learn to do your own, you are better off offering your service to neighbors, just to keep up the practice.
Hubby bred thousands of cows first couple of years back in early 70's. Made him a great tech - and he's all mine!!! :p :p

The ones I found to be the most fun were the ones in a stanchion with nothing on either side of them. Seems they can shuffle from side to side faster then I can run backwards, or even sidways.

dun

Jeanne - Simme Valley":18oyj8f9 said:
The school in Kansas is GRAHAM School - top in the nation.
Hubby took AI school there and at Curtiss. Bred cows around the communty. LOTS of experience!!! Bred many a cow - tied to a tree. You would run her around in circles til she was snubbed up tight. Farmer would attempt to hold her steady. Ken learned to be QUICK!!! :p
AI is something that you need lots of practice, so if you want to learn to do your own, you are better off offering your service to neighbors, just to keep up the practice.
Hubby bred thousands of cows first couple of years back in early 70's. Made him a great tech - and he's all mine!!! :p :p

I have heard good things about that school, but I also believe SEK Genetics in Galesburg KS has classes a few times a year. You might have heard of them before? ;-)

allenfarms":ni8epsdf said:
Do they teach you how to flush and everything?

Typically flushing and implanting are a different school. Learning to do all of that in a 2-3 day school along with AI would be a pretty tall order.

dun

I did some relief work for the local tech when I lived in WVa. The best or worse one I had was a Angus Heifer tied to the ceiling in the middle of a barn with a 20 ft rope. I was a little dizzy after I got that job done. :lol:

rkm":29rz9xhu said:
I did some relief work for the local tech when I lived in WVa. The best or worse one I had was a Angus Heifer tied to the ceiling in the middle of a barn with a 20 ft rope. I was a little dizzy after I got that job done. :lol:

Did they sell tickets to watch? That would have been worth the price of admission for me to see. I did try one cow in the pasture with the owner holding a rope tied to her halter. He was shocked when I reached in and she ran over the top of him. He rented a bull to get her bred. He was all indignant that I charged him for the semen since I didn;t put any in the cow.

dun

Saw the local Genex man A.I. one last year at County Fair, as soon as the Heifer came out of the ring, they tied her up and he A.I.'d her. They did not even stick her in a grooming chute. She stood still as could be for it. Kind of funny to watch all the spectators walking around at cattle stare at this guy with his hand up the a Cows butt. The City folk got an eye full.