AI tank question

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
I check my tank once a week . Last weekend I checked and was at 23cm. My rep called me Monday to schedule my fill. He filled the tank yesterday and I had a to go AI a cow for a lady last night. When I got everything set up and the thaw tank was ready I went to retrieve the semen and it was 4 straws In the top cane were stuck together , I was able to pull one from bottom of the cane and bred the cow. I breed on natural heats so there might be several weeks between breeding and I have never noticed this before but I have never bred one the day of fill. I know for a fact the tank has never been below 18cm and I keep a lock on it to keep anyone from being curious.

I wouldn't think the fill would cause that. Sounds like they crystallized for some reason. Maybe raised up to long, maybe before you got them. Did you use the 1 straw from the goblet before? Not sure I'd use them, when they crystalize is the hardest thing on the cells, that's why from tank to water needs to be quick.

I have used one of these before , and got a successful breeding , I never raise them above the neck and use the tweezers , The bottom ones on the cane were tight but came out with a slight tug . I used one of them and think i'm gonna have one of the upper ones tested. I checked other canisters and every one of them were slightly stuck also.

I had 5 frozen together like that. I had to squeeze them to crack the ice, I used one and it was OK but the 2nd one had nothing in it when I thawed it, the straw had a split. I believe this split straw lost its contents and is what froze the others together during the freezing process. I did not get one pregnancy from these 5 straws.

Ken

wbvs58":36ivyau9 said:
I had 5 frozen together like that. I had to squeeze them to crack the ice, I used one and it was OK but the 2nd one had nothing in it when I thawed it, the straw had a split. I believe this split straw lost its contents and is what froze the others together during the freezing process. I did not get one pregnancy from these 5 straws.

Ken

I checked them again this afternoon the top ones are still stuck the bottom ones where I pulled the one I used I was able to grab witg tweezers and they were not stuck. Checked the other cans and they are fine. I guess I will know in about 18 days.

They have thawed and refrozen for some reason.... why? Tough to say.
If tank is refilled with pressure hose, putting the hose into the tank warm and turning on nitro flow can blow warm
air into the tank. My guy always starts flow and holds it outside of tank until nitro starts flowing before inserting.
He's the one that explained to me the danger of putting hose directly into the tank before flow starts.

Show your guy what happened... a good company should replace the semen for you.
A pxss poor one will tell you that you should've insured your tank.

p.s.
I wouldn't use any of the semen in your tank without evaluating at least 2 straws in a lab with microscope.
One straw that you fear is damaged and one that you think is good.

p.p.s.s.
Many years ago I know of one company rep that got caught pulling rival company semen out of tank while refilling
tank and putting it back in after filling.