AI schedule

Help Support CattleToday:

dompeters84

Reaction score
We are trying to set up our AI schedule. This is what I come up with. Does it seem right to you all? Cows would be on the 7 day co-synch plus CIDR. Heifers would be on a 14 day CIDR. Both groups are going to be timed AI. Let me know your thoughts on this and if I have my schedule right.

Heifers
March 27 - Insert CIDR (Wednesday)
April 10 - Pull CIDR (Wednesday)
April 26 - PG Injection at 3:00 (Friday)
April 29 - GNRH and AI at 9:00 (Monday)
Cows
April 19 - Insert CIDR and GNRH (Friday)
April 26 - Pull CIDR and PG at 4:00 (Friday)
April 29 - GNRH and AI at 10:00 (Monday)

We are going to do about 50 pure bred angus. 20 of them are heifers and the rest are cows. Heifers will be bred to War Party and the Cows will be bred to SAV Prosperity both from Select Sires.

Looks correct, I found a link that lets you put your target breed date in and then gives you a schedule doesnt give hours, but gives a little idea, then you can figure exact times, fwiw. anyway :
http://www.cattle.com/ai/index.aspx?protocol=7-day+CO-Synch+++CIDR®

EDIT: I see for the 7 day co sync plus cidr it gives the heifer time frame though, so you would be correct on your time frame for cows.

Give your cows the PG 24 hours prior to cidr removal. You will have better response to the sync program that way. Also, why the 14 program for your heifers?

Give your cows the PG 24 hours prior to cidr removal.

Interesting, so you give the shot of pg, then a day later pull the cidr? Just curious what the thought process is to why this is better.?- not doubting, just wondering? Thanks,
Jenna

Yes, 24 hours before removing the cidr.

Field expedient measure, ie. one less time through the chute equals money saved in time/labor. This makes it a little easier to sell a sync protocol. It still works if you give pg and remove cidr at the same time, but it has been proven to be more effective to give pg 24 hours in advance of cidr removal.

Latest posts