AI Question

Help Support CattleToday:

F350

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good AI technicians in south Louisiana?

Need to locate a good resources before buying a tank and semen etc.

Thanks,

I looked at the Genex site and they have a collection station in Baton Rouge, but I didn't see any AI techs listed on their site. I checked bovine elite and abs as well and didn't see AI technician services. Maybe I did someting wrong??

F350":27pek0z5 said:
I looked at the Genex site and they have a collection station in Baton Rouge, but I didn't see any AI techs listed on their site. I checked bovine elite and abs as well and didn't see AI technician services. Maybe I did someting wrong??
email them and ask them directly about techs.

F350":rym3722a said:
Does anyone know of any good AI technicians in south Louisiana?

Need to locate a good resources before buying a tank and semen etc.

Thanks,
Unless you plan on buying a lot of semen then it is a lot more economical to let your AI tech store it for you, that is when you find one and he has the storage tank.

Thanks for the info. I'll e-mail them and ask. Good idea on the storage as well.

We don't plan to do a lot of AI. Trying to build up the quality and number of pure Brahman. This is all new to me. No one in my family has ever done anything other than natural service. Once I get the AI tech sorted out, I'll look for some all around quality sires. Any ideas???

F350":xc36qwe3 said:
Thanks for the info. I'll e-mail them and ask. Good idea on the storage as well.

We don't plan to do a lot of AI. Trying to build up the quality and number of pure Brahman. This is all new to me. No one in my family has ever done anything other than natural service. Once I get the AI tech sorted out, I'll look for some all around quality sires. Any ideas???
Bovine Elite has a great selection.
http://www.bovine-elite.com/brahm.asp

If you are in South Louisiana, and you are trying to start a quality Brahman herd, then hopefully you have already heard of these people, but if not you need to contact the Smith's with Smith Brahmans.

http://www.smithbrahmans.com/index.html

Jason Smith does it all as it relates to reproduction.

We don't raise Brahman, but he has AI'd many Angus for us.

Great people!

I've heard of Smith Brahman, but haven't seen their cattle. They are on the other side of the state. I'll check out their website.

tncattle467":6switrel said:
F350":6switrel said:
I've heard of Smith Brahman, but haven't seen their cattle. They are on the other side of the state. I'll check out their website.

Yeah, course for the semen you would just order it online and not have to drive clear across the state. However, I like to see the animals in person first before I buy the semen off em. That is what I like about Genex. I can go down there and actually see the animals up close and personal to see their phenotype, etc before I purchase the semen.
It is nice to be able to see the bull. I really prefer using older bulls, some of them long sense dead, because of being able to see their progeny. I also like to see high percentiles on their EPD's. When I choose a bull I look as hard at some of the bad genetics that can be carried along, not just the good ones. A few phone calls to some old timers can go a long way as to what you end up with.
The most knowledgeable man in the Brahman business , as far as I am concerned, is Dr. David Husfeld. The man is like a walking computer when it comes to pedigree. He can tell you the good and bad of most of the well known bulls. He also stays away form the political show circuit of the Brahman world.
http://www.qualitygenetics.us/

novatech":avjuuq8w said:
tncattle467":avjuuq8w said:
F350":avjuuq8w said:

Yeah, course for the semen you would just order it online and not have to drive clear across the state. However, I like to see the animals in person first before I buy the semen off em. That is what I like about Genex. I can go down there and actually see the animals up close and personal to see their phenotype, etc before I purchase the semen.
It is nice to be able to see the bull. I really prefer using older bulls, some of them long sense dead, because of being able to see their progeny. I also like to see high percentiles on their EPD's. When I choose a bull I look as hard at some of the bad genetics that can be carried along, not just the good ones. A few phone calls to some old timers can go a long way as to what you end up with.
The most knowledgeable man in the Brahman business , as far as I am concerned, is Dr. David Husfeld. The man is like a walking computer when it comes to pedigree. He can tell you the good and bad of most of the well known bulls. He also stays away form the political show circuit of the Brahman world.
http://www.qualitygenetics.us/

Thanks for the link Novatech.