Agribition Angus Sale

Help Support CattleToday:

urbancowboy

Reaction score
Ok - how stupid are the Canadian angus sales getting? OBI has run the Agribition one for many years now and everytime he has a sale there are always big high prices. Example....

One ranch sold two cows - each for $40,000 and each went to the same buyer who is only about 100km down the road. What Saskatchewan cattleman can afford or see the logic in $80,000 worth of cows. The ranch that sold the cows (Beverlly Hills Angus) bought a few heifers - but at the $1,200 mark. So how does a breeding program turn $1,200 into $40,000??

Does anyone else have an opinion on the CWA Angus sale on or the obvious stupidity of the peopel involved in these shams?

urbancowboy":brdsipff said:
One ranch sold two cows - each for $40,000 and each went to the same buyer who is only about 100km down the road. What Saskatchewan cattleman can afford or see the logic in $80,000 worth of cows. The ranch that sold the cows (Beverlly Hills Angus) bought a few heifers - but at the $1,200 mark. So how does a breeding program turn $1,200 into $40,000??
They are not necessarily turning $1200.00 into $40,000.00. They probaly have a bull in mind to breed these hfrs to that will increase their value considerably. Could possibly be my bull, but not necessarily get $80,000.00 for them.

CopeMan":1uqgdq5j said:
Who's Beverly Hills Angus?

see thats the thing - I mean they have been around the show road - but all of a sudden last week - slashing out the big bucks. I think theyhave cattle that stand in the middle of the classes - but no real big winners. This is in canada mind you where Angus dont get the dollars the Americans throw around.

I always thought that OBI did a good job with their sales, but being new to this could be misleading.

Are all these higher prices smoke and mirrors?

Urban Cowboy, I am not sure you even exist anymore but I figure if you aren't man enough to say this stuff to the persons face then you maybe aren't the effort. But I can't resist!

Let's start with the Agribition Sale. First of all if you have been aware to the scene the last few years you will notice that the prices have been climbing for the top end cattle. This fall has been wild for prices, optimism allows for this as well. We have seen more high dollar cattle than we have in a long time. The prices can be high but what is the value of attaining an animal who has consistently produced above average cattle in quality and in price.
Crescent Creek received $41,000 for a cow that has produced herdbulls galore, I would say the timing was right.

To set things straight I sold a cow and her bull calf, not 2 cows.
To defend my situation you have negated to mention that this cows bull calf brought $40,000 (1/2 went to one buyer and the other 1/2 went to the other). So now if a can can produce a $40,000 bull, should she not be worth this kind of money. I kind of figured the cow would bring $15,000, the rest blew me away.
Should I decline the bid if I think that it was getting to high? That is what an auction is for!

Secondly, my Agribition purchases worked out to average $4166 on 3 head, not $1200. I hope your not a business man you won't last long. Secondly, aren't we all trying to somewhat buy lower that what we sell for? Quality costs money but let's face we don't know everything, there are bargains to be had. Don't forget the $5700 cow and the $14,000 bull from last spring, maybe you would like to contact the runner up bidders and tell them this is a joke as well.

Since when does showing actually have a large impact on what these cattle are worth? Showing is fine, but it's not the bread and butter of the industry.

Remember, if you are going to sell something be sure to tell the auctioneer before the sale that once the animal gets to where you think it's worth for him to say sold. Who cares if there is still people who want to bid on the animal.

I would love to correspond with you