Agressive bull

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
Tonight I had a 18mo. old bull roughing up a three week old calf . The bull was agressive enough that it shoved this calf through a barb wire fence . What would cause the bull to do/act this way ? This is the first problem with the bull . I have seprated the cow/calf from the bull . Has anyone else seen this before . Will it happen again ? This is BS !! thanks rj

rjbovine":2771w855 said:
Tonight I had a 18mo. old bull roughing up a three week old calf . The bull was agressive enough that it shoved this calf through a barb wire fence . What would cause the bull to do/act this way ? This is the first problem with the bull . I have seprated the cow/calf from the bull . Has anyone else seen this before . Will it happen again ? This is BS !! thanks rj

I don't keep bulls out with calves that young. We don't usually turn out until May and by then they should all be big enuf to get away if necessary!

on the other hand maybe he is just an ahole

3waycross":2wcpaxje said:
rjbovine":2wcpaxje said:

I don't keep bulls out with calves that young. We don't usually turn out until May and by then they should all be big enuf to get away if necessary!

on the other hand maybe he is just an ahole

I've got one about the same age started showing aggresive behaviour towards the cows.
He goes. In my experience, once they start they just get worse. I'm not going to graze him a year just for him to start doing the same thing and worse next year.

I also keep my bull away from the cows when they are calving and have young calves. They calve in March and I turn him in around the middle of June. By then the cows give him something else to think about.

My bulls are out with my cows that calve, and dont usually bother the calves at all. Oh, I have seen em knock one out of the way to get to the hay, or if its a young steer in his way, but its gonna happen. Bulls are bulls, and as long as they aren't aggressive towards me, then I am good with it.

At 18the mos your bull is still young enough to be playful and a bully towards calves. In a year he won't even notice calves unless their in his way towards the hot cow

rjbovine":3e1a9tqd said:

I have seen cows shove calves through the fence. I never put mineral tubs, salt, hay or anything else near a fence.

backhoeboogie":jig4r4vr said:
rjbovine":jig4r4vr said:

I have seen cows shove calves through the fence. I never put mineral tubs, salt, hay or anything else near a fence.

Good advice. I hadn't thought of that backhoe.

I seprated them till this past sat morning . Every thing went well till Tuesday night . The calf had a cut on the inside of his rear leg . The bull was roughing him up again . I will just keep them apart till I decide to get rid of the bull or ship the calf at weaning age. I know I'm not happy with the bull !!

rjbovine":xlq4m4vr said:
I seprated them till this past sat morning . Every thing went well till Tuesday night . The calf had a cut on the inside of his rear leg . The bull was roughing him up again . I will just keep them apart till I decide to get rid of the bull or ship the calf at weaning age. I know I'm not happy with the bull !!

Here his name would be hamburger, life is to short to put up with a POS cow or bull.
He would be on the first trailer out here with the slaughter prices right now and I would be looking for a repalcement.

Had a young Angus bull kill 2 newborn calves by crushing them into the ground with his head. Didn't see first one. Thought it was an accident. Witnessed the second one. The bull made some good hamburger!!!! :lol2:

lowellcantrell":2u544698 said:
Had a young Angus bull kill 2 newborn calves by crushing them into the ground with his head. Didn't see first one. Thought it was an accident. Witnessed the second one. The bull made some good hamburger!!!! :lol2:

Yep, I would have personally shot him.

I had a young bull rough up a calf last year. He also started to show aggression towards me. His azz was on the trailer that same week. My current young bull (just turned 2) is in with his new calves and is a great parent. He checked out each one after they were born a couple weeks ago, and now he even babysits them. :lol:

I guess just like people, some are fine, some are a-holes.

FB-Maines94":2pv5iu4n said:
lowellcantrell":2pv5iu4n said:

I don't think at a dollar a pound for slaughter bull's he could make me mad enough to shoot him.
I would rather giggle with a pile of froghides in my billfold and think about him everytime I pull in Jack-n-Box.

Caustic Burno":1j7a6kz5 said:
FB-Maines94":1j7a6kz5 said:
lowellcantrell":1j7a6kz5 said:

I don't think at a dollar a pound for slaughter bull's he could make me mad enough to shoot him.
I would rather giggle with a pile of froghides in my billfold and think about him everytime I pull in Jack-n-Box.

Caustic i believe this goes back to the Old Bull, Young Bull theory. Like you i would rather have a lifetime of satisfaction than a moment of bloodlust!

unless of course i am REALLY PO'd then i will just shoot yer a$$! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Shooting is to easy. I like the whole let the dogs chew on them, rope them, choke on them some load them the hard way, and then get to sell them... At least that must be how I like it because that's how it's turned out the last few times that I did it. :lol:

My grandfather took an old non-cooperative "braymer" bull on a spirited jog around the pasture one time with a 2 inch thick logging chain necktie and 100hp Allis Chalmer serving as the sled dog. After the last victory lap he was excorted in the same fashion onto the trailer.