After The Show

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
What do you all do with your cattle once they are retired from the show circuit? Where do you sell your cattle that dont fit the mold for show stock?

Just curious. Beautiful animals... would love some on my place.

The heifer's go out in the pasture to make babies. The steer's if they don't make the sale, either go on the truck or go in the freezer.

Steers -sell or freezer
heifers-become part of the herd
bulls-usually sell private treaty b/c we have cows that are related closely to them. (moms, full sibs, etc..)

All retired Show Heifers became cows as long as we were still showing. Now, all the cows except four are former Show Heifers. The four are Show Heifer Prospects I decided were too valuable to sell.

Bull calves are sold young, private treaty, as Breeding Bulls. Every now and then I get a bull that I decide would be better as a Steer, and these are sold for Show.

All of our calves fit the Show Mold for someone.

I break cattle in sometimes even if they are not for the show ring. South Devons are such a delight to work with you can easily do this. I could tie up at least fifty of my cows that have been ex show or broken in. I have probably 15 heifers at the minute that could have same done to them.
Colin

Like everyone we keep the heifers as cows. Eat the Steers or try to sale them to someone locally that might give a little more than what you would get at stock yards.

Lots of people would love to buy a show steer to eat. I try to get $1.00 per pound for 1200-1300 steer. You can make a little more sometimes if you can find a couple people wanting a half.

You can put an add in local paper advertising a show steer for sale to butcher.

After the last few shows are done (by the end of this month), our 15 month old heifer will go into the paddock to be joined, she probably wont be shown again at least till she has had her second calf and then only if she and the calf are up to it. The baby heifers we showed this time around will go into a paddock separate to the other cattle, be taken off the grain and just given hay. The two bulls we showed are 16 months, one will go out into the paddock to join with heifers until he's maybe three or four years old then he might come back to do one more time round the show ring (he's a later maturing type); the other one will be kept on hay and minimal feed, probably do a few shows next year and then go into the herd to replace the aging bull we have at the moment.

Latest posts