After 2011, I promised God I would never....

Help Support CattleToday:

LauraleesFarm

Reaction score
After 2011, I promised God I would never complain about the rain. But I never said anything about MUD. Gee this is a mess. Are yall mudded out too ? :cry2:

It's been an unusually cold and wet winter. Nothing record breaking, but just continuos long spells of precipitation and cooler than normal temps. Driveway and county roads are worse than I've seen. Grass has went from a shade of yellow/brown to green in the past 3 days. Should see sunshine Monday and Tuesday. I expect things to rapidly improve. I will not complain about the rain or mud, yet. We just passed that point in time, a few hours ago, where everything is supposed to equal out. Right?

ive seen it this bad once before.because thats what made me buy a 4wd drive tractor.its so bad in my necks of the woods your dang lucky if you dont sink a 2wd drive.if you sink a 4x4 your done.have to have a winch to get it out.

Rafter S":3frsvjox said:
I'll still take mud over dust.

I am not complaining. The clover is coming on strong with the rain that we have had along with the spring grass. Our ponds are full and the water gaps have been washed out; I would much rather have this than dust.

Mud situation here has improved a little, but it's still plenty wet. My grass isn't impressing me coming on. I've had some warmth, but no real sunshine.

We could not have survived this winter without the 4wd JD Gator, and the 4wd tractors. Cannot emphasize enough how that Gator has done its job! I do have the knee high rubber boots...

jedstivers":25wgd5q0 said:
sim.-ang.king":25wgd5q0 said:
Get a pair of mud boots you southern wussies.
Don't you know nothin Yankee boy? That's all southerners have is mud boots. And of course webs between our toes so we can go barefoot in the summer.
Didn't your mamma tell you that you get that web feet from your father, who is also your uncle?

sim.-ang.king":3efwtelg said:
jedstivers":3efwtelg said:
sim.-ang.king":3efwtelg said:
Get a pair of mud boots you southern wussies.
Don't you know nothin Yankee boy? That's all southerners have is mud boots. And of course webs between our toes so we can go barefoot in the summer.
Didn't your mamma tell you that you get that web feet from your father, who is also your uncle?
But it's still for walking in the mud.

I have never had to deal with mud like this in these sand hills.
It is almost like quicksand in spots the ground is so saturated.
We have had very few days since December it wasn't raining.
Don't remember exactly the weatherman that goes to our church stated the other day
this area got nearly 20 inches in December.
We got almost eight inches today.

I'm just glad I put in as many different gates as I did. Helps keep the traffic down any one of them, but I am run out of high dry places to put out hay and I bet from an overhead photo my places looks like someone has been doin donuts every 200' from all the hoofprints where the hay was put out. Got a few I want to send to sale, but it's too soft to get a trailer backed in to the pen.

We sure would take some mud here. The early spring warm temps have kept the fire hazard high and have been numerous fires already. No panic yet but it is starting to look like a dry year if something doesn't change soon.

I live on property that has been in the family since the 1880's , and I often wonder when I am doing things how things were done with horses and mules in such situations. My father got his first tractor when I was 5 a ford 8n , 2 row bedder planter, cultivator, and disc before that it was mules, we did not have a pickup only an old family car that he hooked a single axle cattle trailer to. We did a lot of walking and carrying tools to get to a job. You did not see fat overweight people back then.

Latest posts