Aerial views

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
If you have an aerial view of your place please share.
Daughter took this while flying with a friend. We were actually working cattle when they flew over. This was 2011 and from the look of the area we were feeding lots of hay. We kept all our calves since they were bringing almost nothing. We had the hay so held back as many as we could in hopes the price would go up. Maybe next time she flies with her it will all be green around.

Funny that you would post this at this time. I just had someone approach me on doing an aerial photo of my place in a few weeks.
I think that there is an old thread on here where members posted some.

That was once a profitable way for pilots, especially student pilots, to subsidize the cost associated with building time. Until google earth. But a real picture is still better. Years ago I use to have them enlarged and give them as gifts. Most people had never seen their place from the air, and often expressed surprised at how different it appeared than they had imagined.

Ouachita":2kqw4ipi said:
That was once a profitable way for pilots, especially student pilots, to subsidize the cost associated with building time. Until google earth. But a real picture is still better. Years ago I use to have them enlarged and give them as gifts. Most people had never seen their place from the air, and often expressed surprised at how different it appeared than they had imagined.
I could fly around with google earth for hours and hours. They are just now making our area clearer. Most areas you can zoom in and see things in the yard, what cars are parked there and now even see front doors from the streets. Our area you can see clearly like in my picture, zoom in and it gets really fuzzy...You can see all my 4wheeler trails now and all our hay which looks funny..

I do have some somewhere... they're VERY old though... probably 20 years or so and a lot has changed around here since.. new hay shed, greenhouses, shop. Google earth is pretty outdated here too... probably 8 years old too.

Years ago we were dreaming of buying a darned big ranch.. it was about 20,000 acres deeded, and about 1.5 million in range, held 600 cows and all the yearlings on 1 cut of hay, flood irrigated... very beautiful country but the mosquitos could carry you off in that land!... If you want to look it up it's the Chezacut ranch in BC, between Williams Lake and Bella Coola.. I think it's north of Redmond/Alexis creek about 40 miles... Having a pilots liscense there would be a must, as it's about a 3 hour drive to any hardware store.

Nice picture! I love aerial photos. I'd love to have one of our place. A friend of ours said he'd come by with his RC 'copter, equipped with a GoPro, and take a couple sometime.

Not alot of green in that picture. Was it winter time and during a drought?

Katherine

TexasBred":1nmepxqy said:
Cowgirl what is in the field in the upper right hand corner with the lines in it?
I was confused by those lines too...stared at the picture forever. When i tell you what it is you'll laugh.......it the wing of the plane....lol

I believe it was October or November. It should still be green but everything was fried. The field around our house is a hay field where our horses live. We dont usually keep cows in that pasture. We were obviously feeding hay, for a short time we kept weanlings in it so we could keep a good eye on them. When they flew over we had them all in the corral branding them. They were bringing such a low price at the sale barn, so we kept them a couple more months to sell after everyone else dumped their cattle. We kept them to the next year and sold a trailer load at a time. Branded just in case some escaped. Dont like keeping over 100 weanlings, its problematic...

cowgirl8":22mae1vf said:
TexasBred":22mae1vf said:
Cowgirl what is in the field in the upper right hand corner with the lines in it?
I was confused by those lines too...stared at the picture forever. When i tell you what it is you'll laugh.......it the wing of the plane....lol
Now that you've explained it, the whole thing is clear as a bell. Someone started a topic 4-5 months ago about aerial photos of their place....10 or 12 pics were posted on it. You might look for it.

cowgirl8":3nke34jq said:
TexasBred":3nke34jq said:
.......it the wing of the plane....lol

Ahhhh....so it is! Now I see it. Yes, those lines look like they would be the elevators/aelerons. LOL

I too wondered what in heck was in that "field" with such perfect lines.....duh....the airplane wing.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":2an59oya said:
cowgirl8":2an59oya said:
TexasBred":2an59oya said:
.......it the wing of the plane....lol

Ahhhh....so it is! Now I see it. Yes, those lines look like they would be the elevators/aelerons. LOL

I too wondered what in heck was in that "field" with such perfect lines.....duh....the airplane wing.

Katherine
An I know whats on that land too and i had no idea what the heck was going on...lol...felt kind of silly when i realized it was part of the plane..

Latest posts