Advice Needed

Help Support CattleToday:

TR

Reaction score
Hi Cattle Today Forum

Its been a while since I've been on the boards for one reason or another. Got my soldier both off to and back from Iraq in one piece both physically and mentally during the past year, and ran 2 herds of cattle 130 miles apart taboot thanks to Sydney411's ever generous help. :) Upon returning to the good 'ol US of A, Honey promptly celebrated by having a heyday at the sale barn about 6 weeks ago and now we have a couple of 500LB+ or so bull calves that need to be casterated oh, about 6 months ago! The question I have is, since they are older and bigger, what would be the best way to tackle this from a health perspective? In deference to the locked topic about banding vs cutting, I'm not really concerned about premiums at this late stage, just getting them castrated and back on feed gaining weight as quickly as possible with the least amount of stress to them as possible. We have about another 2 or 3 months to put weight on them before they make another trip to the sale barn.

we had two bulls that did not get banded at birth.
1. problem banding tried many a time during the early stages of life but it would not happen
2. i mistook the bull for a heifer (really) and it did not get done

So at weaning we got the vet to do it. we did the black leg with tetnus 2 weeks previous (a booster)
She gave them a local, idodined where the cut was, quick, fast, painless (cause of the local) and a shot of LA200 just incase.
They recovered alot quicker than when we had the local guy come out and do it.
If we had to do it again, vet hands down. I will readily admit we do not know how to cut. We band at birth. The vet did it real well.
RR

TR":1vwlbznn said:
Hi Cattle Today Forum

Its been a while since I've been on the boards for one reason or another. Got my soldier both off to and back from Iraq in one piece both physically and mentally during the past year, and ran 2 herds of cattle 130 miles apart taboot thanks to Sydney411's ever generous help. :) Upon returning to the good 'ol US of A, Honey promptly celebrated by having a heyday at the sale barn about 6 weeks ago and now we have a couple of 500LB+ or so bull calves that need to be casterated oh, about 6 months ago! The question I have is, since they are older and bigger, what would be the best way to tackle this from a health perspective? In deference to the locked topic about banding vs cutting, I'm not really concerned about premiums at this late stage, just getting them castrated and back on feed gaining weight as quickly as possible with the least amount of stress to them as possible. We have about another 2 or 3 months to put weight on them before they make another trip to the sale barn.

I'd just take them to the vet, and have him do it.

GMN

Considering your lack of experience, the necessity of NOT throwing your finances down the drain, and the absolute need to have the job done correctly with no negative consequences resulting therefrom - have your Vet do the job! It is a "NO BRAINER!" Might save your marriage, too! :nod:

DOC HARRIS

What everyone else said OR you could rent the big bander "the emasculater.I have used it twice without any problems and the boys stand really calm once you get a hold of them.You need a good chute for this though.They drop off in about a month or so and they are uncomfortable for only a couple of days and then go back to eating as usual.The big chicken (husband) wouldn't even attempt after the first bull moved his leg once so I figure that women are better at the job. ;-) If you are not up to it get the vet out or take them in it is a fast simple job and it cost around $40.00 the last time I had it dome plus travel and visit.

Glad you got your soldier home safe and sound :D .

TR":2rcyl2s8 said:
Hi Cattle Today Forum

Or TR since you really need to make a trip to the vet, take them on to the salebarn and start over.
Your already going to have them in the trailer. I know you too well you will spend way more on these two than you will ever make back. By the time you haul them to the vet and back pay the vet bill and everthing just sell them and pick up 2 steers.

These are 500lb animals? Whats the hoopla?

Lots of websites will show you how to cut them ( assuming you have facilities ) , there are large banders and there is pinching. If you do go to the vet get him to show you the cutting method, it isn't rocket science.

You gonna eat em and breeding others not a problem, leave them intact.

I dont see a problem with cutting these calves at 500 lbs --- cuttem already and if you wanna save them a lil pain use some lidocaine ---

It's no big deal to castrate a 500# it jsut takes a good chute and some vitamin K so that they clot but seeing as you are inexperienced i would take them to the vet.

Here's a thought... does your neighbor have a Calicrate bander? or California bander? 500# is not a problem... still need the tetanus shot to go with it...

I would trade with my neighbor for a soda pop and give you a hand when you need it in the future.

Latest posts