Advice Needed!!! Please Help!

Help Support CattleToday:

cheygirl

Reaction score
My 4-H steer is giving me some problems lately. He stresses anytime I try to work with him. He's been in the chute and is fine with me petting him then. I manage to get him tied up, but when I come to unclip him, he pulls backs, the whites of his eyes show, and he just freaks out. The only time I can pet him out of the chute is hen his eating and even then, he sometimes still freaks out. Any advice on how to get him calm down? I don't want to push him to much, he has already lost some muscle. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Ditto above. He just needs a lot more time around you. Brushing does wonders for a calf. Try doing a little more with him each day. I'm not understanding what you mean by unclipping him but if you are talking about taking a lead off of him try just rubbing and brushing a little more each day in the area around his head face and neck. Slowly get him used to you being in the area that freaks him out.

Try tying him to a sturdy fence and petting/brushing him there. It sound to me that the only time you comb or do anything is when he is in the chute. Just go slow. Start at his shoulder. Talk to him the entire time and do get too loud. Work your way back and fourth and he will eventually calm down. Usually when mine pull back when Im letting them out of the chute is showing some 'barn sourness', if that makes sense. Just keep ahold and keep him in there until he calms down and quits pulling back. If they are being really bad, i sometimes tie them back up until they quit. Good luck.

I have found that if you will rinse and brush him while he is tied that it will calm them down quicker.

Here's some more info. I've hand-fed this steer for over a month now and I've also sat out there by him several times now. When I walk up to him when he is tied, he either pulls back or moves around as much as he can so I can't touch him. I have been able to pet him while he is tied, but that is because he is eating. If he is eating, he won't let me touch him. My parents think that all the storms is the reason behind his behavior. They also say that some steers are harder to tame down. I have about two weeks that I can actually work with him before the show. So I not planing on taking him unless he makes a big turn around soon.

How much do you stick him when he is tied? (scratch his belly or between his front legs) I train my steers so that when i start scratching they stand still, don't move, and Hold their own head up. Sticking them really calms them down. You should try it and if it doesn't work.... I am sorry.

cheygirl":2xxx5dgo said:
Here's some more info. I've hand-fed this steer for over a month now and I've also sat out there by him several times now. When I walk up to him when he is tied, he either pulls back or moves around as much as he can so I can't touch him. I have been able to pet him while he is tied, but that is because he is eating. If he is eating, he won't let me touch him. My parents think that all the storms is the reason behind his behavior. They also say that some steers are harder to tame down. I have about two weeks that I can actually work with him before the show. So I not planing on taking him unless he makes a big turn around soon.

Was he with other steers until just over a month ago? Is that the first you started handling him?

He has been in a pen with my horse since March. There are steers in a pen to the south but I feed and tied him where he can't see them. I was working six days a week plus school and other various events, so I didn't get to work with him regularly until after school let out. But I had worked with him a couple times before and I was the only one who feed him. He knows who I am, but he won't let me touch him.

All right, that was less than ideal to work with him, but you already know that.

Are you rinsing him? Some of ours settle down when we rinse them a lot. Find a spot that he obviously likes being hit with the water spray and just keep going back to that spot as you rinse him. Lead him to water to drink and he'll learn you're his best buddy.

Well, you got what you got, it's a little too late in the game.................So I say , clip on nose lead :D
work him the next two weeks with that, and hope for the best. If you can't get him to stand still when someone goes over him, I would leave him home.

Three words... Patience. Patience. Patience.

Two weeks is heaps of time... geez, I only just got my heifers in today and the show is in 3 weeks... and these girls have never been touched.

Sounds to me like he's just outsmarted you and knows what works to get you off his case. I'd suggest brushing him tied. Stay calm. If he moves, you move with him. Try and keep a hand or brush on him when he moves away. He needs to learn that if he stands still, it's all good. If he's really bad, when he finally does stand still, don't push it. Give it 10 to 20 seconds, then walk away and leave him. He'll soon learn that if he just stays still, life is easier and you're not gonna hassle him much. Attitude is everything too. Even if you're nervous and scared, bluff him. He'll pick up on your nerves. Don't be over confident, that can be just as bad, if not worse with some animals. Just act calm and relaxed, and speak in a normal voice.

Good luck!

Killala":307h4fve said:

Two weeks is heaps of time... geez, I only just got my heifers in today and the show is in 3 weeks... and these girls have never been touched.

Sounds to me like he's just outsmarted you and knows what works to get you off his case. I'd suggest brushing him tied. Stay calm. If he moves, you move with him. Try and keep a hand or brush on him when he moves away. He needs to learn that if he stands still, it's all good. If he's really bad, when he finally does stand still, don't push it. Give it 10 to 20 seconds, then walk away and leave him. He'll soon learn that if he just stays still, life is easier and you're not gonna hassle him much. Attitude is everything too. Even if you're nervous and scared, bluff him. He'll pick up on your nerves. Don't be over confident, that can be just as bad, if not worse with some animals. Just act calm and relaxed, and speak in a normal voice.

Good luck!

Good advice, although that's why I like to rinse them, it's easier to keep a stream of water on them than to keep a brush on them, at least for me!

Killala":3e6h4nml said:

Now that cracks me up :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm LMAO.
Good advice, you have all the time in the world............a whole ten days left.

I say count your losses and next year..........don't get an animal if you don't have the time.

cheygirl":3e6h4nml said:
He has been in a pen with my horse since March. There are steers in a pen to the south but I feed and tied him where he can't see them. I was working six days a week plus school and other various events, so I didn't get to work with him regularly until after school let out. But I had worked with him a couple times before and I was the only one who feed him. He knows who I am, but he won't let me touch him.
So you have a few days into your project since March, Count your blessings he even knows you. But remember two weeks is a heap of time, according to some on this board, so you should have no problems.

cheygirl":3e6h4nml said:
My parents think that all the storms is the reason behind his behavior.
Ya, the storms will get you every time, that has to be the problem. LMAO

Look..............all it takes is hard work and time, which you have neither. You can have every excuse in the book. The real problem is you didn't care enough about your project during the year. Two weeks before the fair and now you're concerned. shame, shame shame.....like I said you got what you got and from the sounds of it you're lucky he even lets you pet him. Do the other hard working kids at your fair a favor...........keep him home. There's nothing worse than a kid who hasn't taken the time with their animal and then brings it in the ring. If you're lucky, you won't hurt yourself or anyone else. :mad:

Look..............all it takes is hard work and time, which you have neither. You can have every excuse in the book. The real problem is you didn't care enough about your project during the year. Two weeks before the fair and now you're concerned. shame, shame shame.....like I said you got what you got and from the sounds of it you're lucky he even lets you pet him. Do the other hard working kids at your fair a favor...........keep him home. There's nothing worse than a kid who hasn't taken the time with their animal and then brings it in the ring. If you're lucky, you won't hurt yourself or anyone else. :mad:

I dont really think that was necessary. Have you ever met her? Do you know ANYTHING about her situation besides what she has told us? i didnt think so

show steer up":3qbz45aa said:
Killala":3qbz45aa said:

Now that cracks me up :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm LMAO.
Good advice, you have all the time in the world............a whole ten days left.

I say count your losses and next year..........don't get an animal if you don't have the time.

1. Don't know what sort of animals need 6 months breaking, but our Shorthorns certainly don't.
2. Your name says it all... steer jock... doesn't mean you know what you're talking bout tho, and to everyone else, don't take this guys word as gospel.
3. You don't know anything about this girl and steer except what has been posted here, and you obviously have rocks in your head.

cheygirl, it sounds to me like your steer has had pleanty of groundwork to get to know you and that you won't hurt him. Now you just need to expand on that and a few days of good solid work should do wonders. Don't give up, and don't expect him to be perfect (ie. don't ask too much more than what you think you will get each time). Apart from that, my earlier post about says it all.

All I know is I can take one of our Red Polls right off the cow and in a week have them ready to show. My granddaughter just did it last weekend with a 7 month old bull calf.

Of course a lot of it depends on the breed. I have seen kids with those black animals that they work with everyday and 6 months later they are the same as when they started.

Just my opinion.

Jovid":18jiqhsn said:
All I know is I can take one of our Red Polls right off the cow and in a week have them ready to show. My granddaughter just did it last weekend with a 7 month old bull calf.

Of course a lot of it depends on the breed. I have seen kids with those black animals that they work with everyday and 6 months later they are the same as when they started.

Just my opinion.

:clap: :clap:

Exactly. If you really wanted, an animal could be broken in a day or two. I've done it in half a day.

Latest posts