Actinomycosis

Help Support CattleToday:

Bamadan

Reaction score
Any of you had cattle with cases of Actinomycosis (Lumpy Jaw)? I have a four year old Angus stock bull, has been diagnosed with it and is being treated. Any thoughts? I had never heard of it before this.

Treatment isn't very rewarding, in my experience. Some of them make it, most don't.

I had one cow that was successfully treated with sodium iodide (IV) but I suspect because I caught it early. Kept her an additional 5 years and sold only because she was old, fell behind my breeding schedule and while she was still maintaining condition, her last calf was a dink.

There is decent success treating these with IV sodium iodine. 2-3 doses about 3 weeks apart will give more success than a single dose. Often success with these is making it stop growing, may see a slight degree of size reduction. However, once it stops growing the animal will often do well, it is definetly worth trying to treat, especially if it has only been there a few months or less. Biggest issue with them is the infection can get into the tooth roots and teeth will start working loose. At that point feed consumption worsens and these start to do poorly. I wouldn't be concerned about transmission to people, that wouldn't be at all likely.

Latest posts