Acidosis

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am finishing a steer and a young bull to be processed. They have been on a grow/commodity mix for the last couple of months. Since I am about 3 months out from my processing date, I switched them to WSC. I admit that I was probably trying to push them too hard and I did not realize the difference that the switch would make and they developed acidosis. I have withheld all grain and have been giving them bicarbonate soda with their salt a mineral. They seem to be improving and their manure is starting to tighten back up. My question is, how long should I wait before I start reintroducing the grain?

Not speaking from experience, other than once had a top dairy cow break into the feed room and eat herself sick. So others please feel free to chime in.

The 2 are showing improvement and manure is starting to tighten....
I'd start giving them a lick or 2 of grain daily for a week before giving them anything sizeable for the next week, followed by 1/2 of whatever amount caused it for a 3rd week and proceed from there.

Last edited:
I went on a short trip this summer. My back up was not very observant, and I found out later that the fat pen got only one pail of grain twice a day. They went back on full feed with my return, and then went off feed a couple days later... I played 20 questions to figure out what happened.

Cattle will tell you how much grain they can handle. Just feed multiple times per day and make sure they clean it up quickly. Observation works better for me than a scale.

If you want to do it the hard way, then there are solutions you can drench them with. Looks pink...