Accounting Software

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
What is everyone using for accounting software. My accountant wants me to upgrade. I am currently using an old version of quicken for business, and way back in the 90's I tried quickbooks form my construction company. Back then quickbooks was not very user friendly, so I started using the quicken program. I know my accountant uses quickbooks; if it is like was years ago I know I don't want it. I want something easy to navigate.

My bank has a money management program that will track your income and spending from my checking account...most banks probably do these days...its pretty easy to use. just go in and categorize all your expenses and income(deposits) and it tracks them automatically. Everything purchased with a credit card will automatically will go into the desired category like ...fuel, for example...all checks have to be manually entered into the desired category. Works good for me....just add up a few lines at the end of the year.

Still using QuickBooks 2005. I own the program and it does what I need it to do for two businesses and personal finances. However, accountants are having more trouble every year converting the files to their newer versions of QB, so going to have to upgrade this year. Looking for a non subscription version because I tend to use a program way past its planned obsolescence if it does what I need it to do.

Still using QuickBooks 2005. I own the program and it does what I need it to do for two businesses and personal finances. However, accountants are having more trouble every year converting the files to their newer versions of QB, so going to have to upgrade this year. Looking for a non subscription version because I tend to use a program way past its planned obsolescence if it does what I need it to do.
That is what I have been doing as well. My quicken program is 2008 version. I wanted to put dads info on my computer, but our accountant wanted it separate from mine, so I need to up grade dads computer as well. I just upgraded to a new laptop today.

I use Quickbooks because of the abilty to invoice. But I don't like it and would be open
to something else that offers invoicing.
Check out xero, it literally does everything. Linked to your bank account, does invoices. Even does all your tax. All you have to do is spend a few minutes here and there to reconcile it, which is basically just ticking boxes.

I use Quickbooks because of the abilty to invoice. But I don't like it and would be open
to something else that offers invoicing.
Using quickbooks is a big benefit for contractors that do work for me. It's fast and simple and usually squared away.

I can usually tell what kind of work I will get out of some one by how their quotes and invoices look. If they care to make their paperwork right, they will care to make what ever they are doing for you, right.

Some of them generate a quote, then switch it over to an invoice, and I think even include a link to pay it all through email.

They have learned to have their invoices ready to go as soon as the work is completed. I'll have an invoice in my email by the next morning and they will have a check in hand a week later, two weeks is worse case scenario.

Check out xero, it literally does everything. Linked to your bank account, does invoices. Even does all your tax. All you have to do is spend a few minutes here and there to reconcile it, which is basically just ticking boxes.
I will check that out. Do you have to buy it?

Cloud based?
Yes cloud based, everything is live so if ever there is a problem you can ring your accountant and they can see exactly what is going on and fix it. I will say i was dead against it, my wife insisted so i eventually gave in. Then when family around us saw how easy and straight forward it was have all switched now too.

There are several options on how to use Quickbooks. I use Quickbooks Desktop Pro 2020. I don't send invoices, but I do pay bills, and it syncs with my payroll company's software. I have used Quickbooks for 17-18 years, and have been happy with it.

Try Gnucash. Free, open source, double entry accounting. Very stable, well supported, connects to your bank.